The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple of these that i won at an event last year,need to put them together and get them out.when do i need to get them put out?also if you have these what is the best way you have found to mount them?(metal pole,old fencepost,screw into a tree?)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
They need to be out now. I have mine on a fence post in the yard but it would be better to have them on a metal post. Good luck. I had bluebirds in mine the first year.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Keep the sparrows out.I open my boxes often.If there is chicken feathers or other trash other than sticks,it gets pulled out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I looked out this morning and I had a pair of bluebirds checking out the bird house. Then another female came in and sat on the rail with them. Maybe some of the young from last year are looking to set up housekeeping. I hope so. We raised two broods last year.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
There are bluebirds around right now, so it's time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok everyone thanks for all the help,sounds like a good project for this weekend

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
DennyF said:
There are bluebirds around right now, so it's time.
Denny, there are blue birds around all year long....you should see them in the field at the farm in the winter...hundreds, yes that isnt a typo...Hundreds of them flying around thru the field and they even come into the big feeder we have out in the woods and eat the scratch grain!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Like was stated above. Put them out now.
I get a bunch of those green metal fence posts at TSC. The 5 footers are good.
You want to place them so they are facing away from the prevailing weather.
Place them about 50 feet away from a woodline, and if the weather allows, facing towards the woodline. This is for the little ones on their first flight.

I clean my boxes out once a year, unless it's extremely dirty after a hatching, or a baby dies in the box.

Here's another little helpful thing to do. Make up some maggot/mealworm suet for them. Basically you take some beef tallow and/or lard and liquify it. Then dump some live maggots and/or mealworms in, and let it cool. They'll love ya for it. The birds that is.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Know some winter here in PA, first time I've ever seen one at our place in February.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts