The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLUE BERRY AND HUCKELBERRY BUSHES

THIS SPRING i would like to plant some bluebeery bushes however i want to plant native species (northern highbush varieties)does anyone recommend a place to get them? also on my parents farm the last few years a huge huckelberry patch has sprung up in our bottom. if i collect berries from them this year they should produce seedlings next year right? thanks for any help/ information

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: BLUE BERRY AND HUCKELBERRY BUSHES

you can have all the bushes you want, just use your trimmings and make new plants.You should be havesting in three years or so.It is actually real easy,I grew up in the blueberry capital and did it for years.Your trimming needs just one bud to leaf out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: BLUE BERRY AND HUCKELBERRY BUSHES

You get your trimmings and cut pieces about 2 to 3 inches with a bud near the top.I used a planting mix of half sand and half potting soil high in vermiculite. Some guys use an anti-fungal but I never did. the cuttings like water but the dont like to stay wet,root-rot. If you get 50% you are doing good. Raised beds are best to keep your cuttings warm,andwell drained . I hope I helped ,once you get sucess you will find out how easy is is.The old farmer who taught me would make thousands a year in his backyard with help from us and some beer to keep us working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts