The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the afternoon looking to pick some blueberries but the berries are 95% green, must be the cooler weather. There were many bushes with no fruit on at all, the result of a mid-May freeze around here. One morning back in May it was 25 degrees right when bushes had flowers, so I think I might have to move to lower elevations. My area is around 1700-1800 ft above sea level. This is the Moscow area of Lackawanna Cnty.

How are the rest of you berry picker’s making out? FT

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My bushes in my yard are slowly ripening but only a few at a time. Last year, they seemed to ripen all at once. I have only gotten a few this year because the birds are beating me too them. They will get nets next year.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
There are alot of berries on the bushes on the plateau, we usually don't start getting any until the end of July on. Our spots rotate year by year, we are in your area just check some new spots as there are plenty around, just not ripe yet.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hunnter said:
Our spots rotate year by year,
What do you mean by that?

I agree the end of July is usually prime time in the Pocono’s, this year things seem to be behind & I think it’s the cooler weather. Anyway what I observed yesterday was a lot of the bushes (high) had no berries at all…mid-May freeze zapped the flowers. I think if the pollination had taken place prior to that morning, then the fruit has developed. Last year was one of the best blueberry seasons I could remember & I still have a few quarts in the freezer. Happy picking!
FT

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Frey, I'm in the same boat...My low BB bushes have fruit, but not ripe yet. (does not seem like last years crop quanity) Blackberries are producing though.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I had a pretty decent crop this year. I'm at the point where I'm already sick of picking them. I've starting to freeze them for winter use because I'm getting tired of blueberry buckle, muffins, and pie.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Blueberries bear the most fruit on the young growth branches, so our best spots change from year to year.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hunnter said:
Blueberries bear the most fruit on the young growth branches, so our best spots change from year to year.
I agree, just wasn't understanding what you meant by rotating. Hopefully we will get some warmer weather to help the riping process. Thxs FT

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Lots of green berries now, I am patiently waiting as well. Let me know how you make out, if you need some spots, shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
bushes in the yard are loaded down with berries, bad...............getting to the point that I cant keep up eating them...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We had a good year for berries at first. We were able to pick enough for pies, wine, and freezing in the first week. After that, the birds got to them. Now, as fast as the berries ripen, the birds get them before we have a chance. Berry and fruit harvest has been late this year due to cooler temps and rainfall I assume.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Checked a big blue berry clear cut yesterday and they were still small and green. Will be later picking them this year but the plants were full of em.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I was fishing in Elk County over the weekend and ate some blueberries as we hiked along. They were small and scattered, so you have to be patient picking them, but they were tasty.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the blue berries in my Moscow Pa area are finally starting to ripen, albeit slowly, they’re ripening none the less. I picked 4qts so far…16qts to go. I freeze them for bake goods all year long.
FT

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
my moms blueberry bushes are producing some nice amounts of berries , but they are much more sour then ever before....and a lot smaller...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts