The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this e-mail today, savage model 10MLSS .50 cal, user dumped too much smokeless powder down the barrel.

There are some very graphic pictures of the shooters hand that I will not post here ( he lost part of his thumb and severe damage to his hand) but if anyone wants to see them P.M. me and I will forward them .

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is what a "complete" rifle looks like, notice how much of the stock is blown off in the first pictures.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry didn't catch it before

I hope it reminds folks to be careful.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next time you are in a gun shop ask to see a savage model 10MLSS. They are an inline that you can use either smokeless, BP or a BP wanna be.
I never owned one but have see a few on the shelves.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not confused, here are a couple of mine

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
Even with black powder, too much, a barrel obstruction of not fully seating the ball could lead to tragic failure. The new higher pressure black substitutes and now smokeless powder model muzzleloaders have merely increased the likelihood that somebody will screw up. I myself have been distracted while talking to a person at a competition and accidentally dumped a second charge down the barrel. Forunately at competitons charges are usually so low that a double charge isn't dangerous. Sure I caught it, when I seated the ball.

The danger of some conicals is that if the gun is carried muzzle down, the bullet could slip forward (Happened with civil war minnie balls in muskets also) Then it is a barrel obstruction. As I said when I intitially posted a reference to thhat incident, it is scary when newbies read about posters saying they use exceptional charges of subs powder sticks and bullets. The newbies' gun could have been made in Pakistan for all we know. Or maybe a Spanish gun with a design defect or manufacturing defect. A well known Muzzleloader writer was boasting about his 3,000 ft velocities and how round ball shooters were inhumane to game. While he was actually pushing in-lines for a manufacturer, some folks are reading magnum loads are necessary and are unintentionally overloading or mis-loading their guns.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Post, I have shot muzzleloaders for a long long time and I agree many newbies don't understand the dangers of our sport. They try to take short cuts thinking they will make their "pipe taped to a 2 X 4" ( as an old friend liked to say about the junkers) a cannon that will shoot a patched RB 400 yds and hit a flea sittin' on a bears rump.

They need all the reminders they can get to, hopefully, make them safer shooters. I hope I never see another picture like those again.

When I got hooked many years ago the thing that inpressed me the most was how the seasoned shooters took the time to teach us newbies how to do it not only the right way but the safest way.

We, the gray beards of our sport, owe it to our mentors to pass on what they taught us to the next generation so they too can enjoy the experience of shooting some of the most beautifully hand crafted rifles ever built and do it safely.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
The greybeards sure seem to have some beautiful smokepoles for sure. Those are magnificent Big Redneck. thanks for posting them. Keystonepaul

1 - 20 of 43 Posts