The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going into year three with my wood insert. In cleaning up the unit and preparing for the season, I wonder if there is any maintenance needed for the blower motor? I see nothing that could be done, so I am assuming they just go until they break?
Any insight ?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't know about your stove , but in my situation...
I try to clean it as best I can . They tend to collect alot of dust.
I can remove my whole assembly & hit it with air hose OUTSIDE.
I just replaced the whole unit on mine 2 years ago,
(I assume it was original)
It's an old USSC Forester ,mfg date said 1986
When it was going bad I would tear it apart and spray it with WD-40 or CRC lube , just seemed to give it a place for dust to stick
It came with the house I got 7 solid years out of it don't know how much it was used before me,I run it 24/7 from Oct/Nov till May.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
I replaced the blower on my out door wood stove two years ago. I heard the unit making a terrible racket and discovered a mouse in the squirrel cage Well that small amount of weight was enough to ruin the bearings and it lasted only another few weeks. Darn bearings are sealed inside the metal casing of the blower. I now keep hardware cloth over the intake, but I suspect the mouse came from stuff put in the furnace when I burned a pile of lathing from remodeling.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Beside cleaning mine with air not much else you can do. I do inspect bolts and fan blades. The clearances on mine are close. A little off can have them rubbing pretty quick. I do recommend having an extra fan assembly (blades and housing) available. After about fifteen years of running the fan blades had lost enough pitch that the lack of air movement was noticed. New one putout like a turbine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts