The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
893 Posts
Well that's kinda what usually happens with a .50 roundball. I can't say about a .54 or .58 roundball because I have not shot a deer with them. I think with snow you should still be able to find your deer because they usually don't go too far with a good hit. With a poor hit you may lose them.

I have been using saboted 300 grain xtp's and there has been no blood trail with them because they have all just dropped right there. It looks like they wouldn't produce any better of a blood trail though because there is no expansion but it does always exit. For some reason though I still want to shoot roundball and take careful shots.

Conical bullets had always produced really good blood trails but again I don't really like using them. For one reason they can move off the charge on a clean barrel and I don't like fouling attracting moisture in a dirty bore; it's a potential serious problem that I prefer to avoid. They are much heavier and recoil more but can be very accurate with the right equipment and loads and they tend to slam stuff pretty good and lots blood to trail if the deer does happen not to go right down. Even a powerbelt bullet can come loose from the skirt and move off the charge.

This primitive season is challenging so just try to make good shots and follow up. I have lost a few to roundball but I don't shoot beyond 80 yards with one anymore and I haven't lost one with a ball for years.

· Registered
893 Posts
Ron; I have always wanted to hit one right on the shoulder with my .50 caliber .490 ball and 90 grains 2f but always chicken out and shoot behind the leg. I guess I am just concerned that it will just flatten out and not penetrate. What caliber are you shooting them in the shoulder with?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.