The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
11,931 Posts
Since hunting with the patched roundball many years ago todate have taken approx 40-50 deer & a 300 lb TN Wild boar. I have found that both the 50 & 54 caliber leave substantial blood trails especially on complete pass through shots which most all of mine were. The higher 54 caliber's energy tends to knock deer down on the spot a lil faster than a 50 caliber hit but the ole 50 is nuttin to sneeze at!

No doubt from me either regarding the ole roundball's kill power!! As mentioned most all my roundball deer kills have been complete pass throughs with very quick kills. Only one ever recovered was from a TN wild boar.

Below are pics of the 54 Caliber round ball that processor recovered from my approx 300 lb. TN Wild Boar. I didnt get to talk to processor to see where it was recovered from but all i know is that my PA Mountain Rifle was aimed squarely on the hogs front shoulder with hog quartering towards me at approx 50 yards. It collapsed in its tracks with a few quivers & that was it! Of the 3 hogs I have killed: No.1 with a smokeless Savage 10 ML-II launching a 300 grain Barnes MZ solid copper & No.2 with my White Super 91 .504 In-line thowin a .503 cast 460 grain No Excuse Conical....the "ole roundball" produced the quickest kill. Of course...bullet placement has much to do with it but nevertheless....I was impressed!!

Based on condition of roundball it apparently penetrated thru some heavy bone and/or shield.

I was impressed with the expansion of the ole round ball!!! Over 98% weight retention.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Recovered 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball Beside Original
</span></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Original 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball On Scale</span></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Recovered Roundball On Scale</span></span>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.