The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinda of blood trails have you guys been getting, esp. the guys who are using round balls. I'm kinda new to flintlock hunting, I helped my cousin recover a doe a couple days ago with hardly a drop of blood and the shot placement was spot on! Luckily we had some snow to help us out.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Well that's kinda what usually happens with a .50 roundball. I can't say about a .54 or .58 roundball because I have not shot a deer with them. I think with snow you should still be able to find your deer because they usually don't go too far with a good hit. With a poor hit you may lose them.

I have been using saboted 300 grain xtp's and there has been no blood trail with them because they have all just dropped right there. It looks like they wouldn't produce any better of a blood trail though because there is no expansion but it does always exit. For some reason though I still want to shoot roundball and take careful shots.

Conical bullets had always produced really good blood trails but again I don't really like using them. For one reason they can move off the charge on a clean barrel and I don't like fouling attracting moisture in a dirty bore; it's a potential serious problem that I prefer to avoid. They are much heavier and recoil more but can be very accurate with the right equipment and loads and they tend to slam stuff pretty good and lots blood to trail if the deer does happen not to go right down. Even a powerbelt bullet can come loose from the skirt and move off the charge.

This primitive season is challenging so just try to make good shots and follow up. I have lost a few to roundball but I don't shoot beyond 80 yards with one anymore and I haven't lost one with a ball for years.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
i have never had great blood trails and most of my deer have been shot with my 62 cal. there is enough to get the job done. almost all of mine have been pass throughs too. most all lung shots. shoulder shots put them right down. don't see much difference between it and the 45, 50 and 54 cals. years ago.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Often the chest cavity must fill with blood before you get big blood.The higher the hit the more it must fill up.The only sure way to drop them and not worry about a blood trail is a head shot.That takes practice and lots of range work.I will say that I have found no deer,shot in the heart or lungs,to ever live reguardless of shot with 45 RB up to the 58 RB.Some sprayed blood others barely drops.
Another guy on another forum said that a deer shot in the heart or lungs will not live longer than 7 seconds.
Of the deer I shot,the 45 seems to drop them with the shortest distance traveled after the shot.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Rarely have to track em...like said, a good hit and they go down quick like anything else...

But ive had to track a few..well hit and not so well hit...blood is hit or.miss..depends on the hit and whether it exitted or not....round balls can do really weird things..ive had em blow through..had em flatten out big time..had em bounce around and do odd things...

Last year i took a long (for me) shot..was around 75yds...doe ran up a steep hill..looked hit hard...slowed and kept going..buddy said he thought he saw the hit in the middle of the body and a bit high of center....i thought she took a step as the gun fired so sounded right...i got on her tracks and had faint blood...drops...

A good 100-125yds away she was piled up...60 or so yards up a fairly steep hill...holes were like we thought..2/3-3/4 of the way up and in the last ribs..thought no way i got lungs....but i took em both out...70gr 3fg and a Buffalo ballet...they shoot same POI as 90gr and a roundball in my rifle..no idea how i figured that out!

Holes were bullet sized....but it blew right through....probably going to stick with them as they seemed to penetrate nicer than a ball...

Just never know on blood...without snow i may never found that doe...

I always follow up a while after a shot just to be sure...point of impact is huge...if you can find that you should find hair usually...just like archery hunting i try to keep eyes on the deer and see how it acts...but its tough with a flinter and smoke and recoil ect...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I`ve found out the best shot on a Deer is the high Shoulder shot. They don`t go far. With a Heart or Lung shot they can and will travel a ways....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i shot a doe yesterday with my 50 droped her in her tracks while reloading she jump up and run off i had blood all over the ground and a good blood trail for about 300-400 yrds then it quit i think befween all the snow fallin it covered up the blood or the blood just froze on her never did find her even spent 4 hours today looking

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I shot a couple with the .45 and I believe one with a .54, both high Shoulder shots. My son , on Saturday, shot a Doe with His .54. Shoulder shot and the Ball went through. He uses 65grs. of 3F in His .54. He said it was about 50yds.when He shot.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Mossie, i hit one in the front shoulder...ball was flattened out big time and in the far shoulder...dropped her like a rock....only deer ive ever killed that hit the ground and bawled...i never reloaded so fast in my life...she didnt get a 2nd chance to bawl....just a noise i never wanna hear ever again..

That was with a 50cal and 90gr 3fg...

Ive taken frontal shots in self defense at mere feet away twice...both times i put the bead on the bottom center of the white.throat patch...that is a quick kill...i just dont know what a roundball would do if shot square into the chest....the white patch i feel "safe" with..good it goes down..high is head..low is chest..side to side if a miss..a hard graze is getting artery and likely shocking the spine...i wont take it at a distance....but feet away both times i knew id drop em....the one i recovered the patch from lol...

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I,ve had massive blood with PRB,s when they go a little ways.Usually not much when they drop on impact.The nice thing about that massive round slug is that you always find hair at the spot of impact when there is snow.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Since hunting with the patched roundball many years ago todate have taken approx 40-50 deer & a 300 lb TN Wild boar. I have found that both the 50 & 54 caliber leave substantial blood trails especially on complete pass through shots which most all of mine were. The higher 54 caliber's energy tends to knock deer down on the spot a lil faster than a 50 caliber hit but the ole 50 is nuttin to sneeze at!

No doubt from me either regarding the ole roundball's kill power!! As mentioned most all my roundball deer kills have been complete pass throughs with very quick kills. Only one ever recovered was from a TN wild boar.

Below are pics of the 54 Caliber round ball that processor recovered from my approx 300 lb. TN Wild Boar. I didnt get to talk to processor to see where it was recovered from but all i know is that my PA Mountain Rifle was aimed squarely on the hogs front shoulder with hog quartering towards me at approx 50 yards. It collapsed in its tracks with a few quivers & that was it! Of the 3 hogs I have killed: No.1 with a smokeless Savage 10 ML-II launching a 300 grain Barnes MZ solid copper & No.2 with my White Super 91 .504 In-line thowin a .503 cast 460 grain No Excuse Conical....the "ole roundball" produced the quickest kill. Of course...bullet placement has much to do with it but nevertheless....I was impressed!!

Based on condition of roundball it apparently penetrated thru some heavy bone and/or shield.

I was impressed with the expansion of the ole round ball!!! Over 98% weight retention.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Recovered 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball Beside Original
</span></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Original 54 Caliber .535 Round Ball On Scale</span></span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Recovered Roundball On Scale</span></span>

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
That,s cool Loggy.I recovered my ball from my first flinty deer and I was impressed on how it distorted to create hemmoraging.It was hit in the neck at the spinal cord and dropped faster than the smoke cleared.The PRB capability to bust thru bone and penetrate is 10 fold over the plastic sabots.Shoot a tree with a sabot and then a PRB and you will see a world of difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts