The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone available to assist with a blood trail in the AM? I spined a buck this evening and he fell like a ton of bricks but came back to life as I descended the tree. I got a good foot of penetration and a decent amount of blood, but I opted to back out after about 80 yards.

I am fairly confident the deer is dead, but I am color blind and have a hard time with blood trails. My friend who normally helps me is unavailable.

If anyone is available to assist, please give me a call.

484-634-0203

Thanks
Jamey

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Man I would love to but I'm down to one leg, other is broken. Goodluck finding him, hope to see pics! Is he a white clay buck?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Wish i was closer id be there! Dad is color blind and cant track deer either....i know how tough it.is.for.him...

I shot one in 09..5yd shot...dropped like a sack of taters...i knew my arrow was deep but i didnt wanna chance it...ive heard such stories like yours...so i sent him 2 more to anchor him before i climbed down....

Good luck! Hopefully someone can help!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I easily could have got another arrow in him, but did not think it necessary. He hit the floor hard and his head was down for a good 3 minutes. In hindsight I should have let him have it.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I was able to follow the trail pretty easily ...........which is pretty rare, but opted to back out since I did not get a pass through and was worried that I may have only got one lung. I am hoping the fact that I was able to easily see the blood despite color blindness is a good sign.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
How far was the shot? If you clipped him on the top of the spine, that deer will live. If you clipped the bottom of the spine, you have a chance. How long did you wait before you tracked for 80yds?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Wow..3 minutes and he woke back up! I wouldnt shot again either! Mine had his head up...but i took out a lung and right through the heart...tip of the broadhead started to poke out the bottom...had i known it was hit so well i would saved my arrows....he snapped the first when he hit the dirt..then the 2nd when he flopped...expensive! Lol. But glad i did...

Sounds like you aughta find him pretty quick...keep us posted! You should have some HPA helpers i would imagine if anyone close reads this!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
15 yard shot. I'm almost positive that I clipped the BOTTOM of the spine. The follow up was about an hour after the shot, and I actually watched the deer cover most of the 80 yards. I probably would not have followed at all until the AM, but the deer happened to run in the direction I needed to go to get out of the woods.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfotunately I did not recover the deer. I had steady blood for at least 1/4 mile before it petered out. I grid searched after that, but no luck. I am very dissapointed, I have lost deer in the past but this one bothers me the most since I "saw it die"-or at least I thought I did.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Keep your chin up, it happens to us all! Maybe you can redeem yourself in late archery or gun season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts