The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What light do you guys like to carry with you for blood trail tracking in lw light/dark? I had to track 2 deer this year in the dark (Both in archery season gave them time to expire before trailing, etc) and I've like using my Ryobi 18v Incandescent light the best, but its a little bulky to carry all the time. I've used my dad's Primos blood tracker and a Browning model similar that have the Red/Green/Blue lights and have also tried LED flashlights and for me I can't pick up the blood as easily with those lights. Does anyone make a nice small compact incandescent flash light that would be easy to carry?

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I use Fenix lights. They have models that run on AA's, which are easy and cheaper to get, and I carry a ziplock bag with spares to put if/as needed. They're small and bright, which is all I want. I don't use the blood lights. I just want a nice bright light that's not a boat anchor to drag around.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
IMO The best tracking light is a Coleman two mantel propane light. They aren't compact but I haven't found a better hand held light for following a blood trail. They are great for field dressing after you find your deer too.

Reactions: ShedSeeker

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I carry a good headlamp and a single AAA Streamlight and have had good success I also have one of those bloodtracking lights but have never really used it

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't carry a blood tracking light with me but I may pick up one for next season. The Primos Bloodhunter looks pretty good.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I prefer a good, bright white light. Used to use a Coleman lantern but these new bright flashlights are great. I have come to the conclusion that everyone's eyes are different because I can hardly see blood at all with those "Blood Tracker" lights.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I bought a Husky 500 Lumen flashlight from HD this year and it is very bright. It's a little heavier but not bad. I have a backpack full of junk so what's the difference. For $19.99 I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
We have a Primos blood light. I took it and a regular flashlight out to track a deer this year. We knew where there was a nice pool of blood where the deer bedded. I shined the Primos blood light right on the blood and it didn't make it any easier to see. If anything, it showed up better with the regular flashlight. Not sure if that's just due to me being a certain level of color blind? Or it just stinks for everyone. Not worth its weight in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Those blood tracker lights got bad reviews right after they started selling them. Any good bright white light does a good job. I've used Coleman lantern with a shield on the back and white led lights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am color blind. Reds blend in with browns. With that said I used the Primos Bloodtracker flashlight. I easily tracked a doe about 100yds this year. I could see every pin drop of blood. I cannot do that without that light. In fact even in daytime I cannot see the blood without being on hands and knees. I think its because it changes the leaves to a light blue purplish color and I am not colorblind to that. Blood still looked red.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a Surefire with two setting the brighter setting being 5 or 600 lumens. It's very compact at 7 or 8 inches. Best light I've ever used for tracking, but a little pricey. I never used a blood tracking light, but know a couple people who have and they never used it again.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
IMO The best tracking light is a Coleman two mantel propane light. They aren't compact but I haven't found a better hand held light for following a blood trail. They are great for field dressing after you find your deer too.
Hunting partners and I have found quite a few deer with the coleman double mantel. When we are confident of a good hit at last light we let them go for about an hour an get after them. Too many coyotes out there now to leave them overnight, only as a last resort on a marginal hit.

·
Banned
813 Posts
Ditto.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts