The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple things you can do to keep from having your traps stolen;

Think about learning to build some blended flat sets,urine posts with out the post,blind sets etc.

When you build a dirt hole set blend the pattern back to near what it was before you started the set(I know you lose the sight appeal but if you are on location the critter will still smell the fresh dug dirt and the lure )

If you are putting a dirt hole at the side of a log road or tractor road,reverse your pattern.instead of the trap being near the road and the hole toward the side turn it around.A lot of the a--holes that steal traps know what to expect when they see a neat little three inch hole with a sifted pattern in front of it.If they can't see the into hole and you blend the pattern the set won't be as noticable to them and they will walk on by.

I know you shouldn't have to sneak around to check traps but don't be any more obvious than you have to.Get your sets back a little off the roads,walk 50 yards farther around a bend so spot lighters can't see eyes,put a cap on your truck so everyone can't see a bunch of traps there in the bed.Vary the direction you use when you check traps,don't be time predictable.If they see you checking every day at 9:00 they know they have to be there before that.
You other guys chime in with ways you use to keep from getting your traps stolen.These ideas can help all of us keep our blood preasure down a bit and may keep us out of trouble.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
When they think your a bit off or touched or crazy they tend to shy away. lol
The ones that don't know you can become problematic until they get (bitten),pursued or worse.

They have the problem, when starting it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good advice, I like the log set idea, makes sense. I try to check early, use well blended sets, and leave as few tracks as possible.... maybe some additional foot steps so they get more exercise! Like kip said "once people realize what we value," they tend to shy away. There will always be a few "slow ones" that need a "little reinforcement" lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts