The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Her's my list of what I would run having the choice of only those three.

1. The Xperts. Cheap shell, but I get great patterns with them and they flat out work, despite what the haters say.
2. Black Cloud. The only problem I have ever had was letting the birds get too close and actually watching a goose "POP" when I hit him at about 11 yards with a 1 1/2 ounce load of BC 2's. Had an orange-sized hole right through him and the wad still had quite a few pellets in it...nasty. Thing is, they perform no better or no worse than regular steel shot at ethical ranges.
3. Blindside is about the dumbest gimmick I have seen in almost 30 years of waterfowl hunting and though I shoot a ton of Winchester steel loads, Winchester should be ashamed of themselves for even considering developing a load like that and the moron that thought it up should be tarred and feathered and drummed out of the company all together.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Pattern them all and shoot what shoots best out of your gun. That being said, My old M2 liked BC and heavy shot the most. My new A5 shoots heavy shot really nicely.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
x2 on the patterning your shotgun. And x2 on the blindside being a total gimmick to get you to spend your money. I have been shooting Winchester Xpert #2's at 1550 for years and I really won't budge on it. They pattern well out of all my guns and all my chokes.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Find out how many pellets are in each shell and fire them all thru the same tube at the same distance. Count how many are in the 30" circle. Weigh that against how even the pattern is. Whatever gives you the most even pattern, with the highest density wins. An awesome load /choke combo will be better than 85% and be very even with no gaping holes. I look for 90% or better.

I like BC for geese.

·
Registered
505 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:

1. The Xperts. Cheap shell, but I get great patterns with them and they flat out work, despite what the haters say.
2. Black Cloud. The only problem I have ever had was letting the birds get too close and actually watching a goose "POP" when I hit him at about 11 yards with a 1 1/2 ounce load of BC 2's. Had an orange-sized hole right through him and the wad still had quite a few pellets in it...nasty. Thing is, they perform no better or no worse than regular steel shot at ethical ranges.
3. Blindside is about the dumbest gimmick I have seen in almost 30 years of waterfowl hunting and though I shoot a ton of Winchester steel loads, Winchester should be ashamed of themselves for even considering developing a load like that and the moron that thought it up should be tarred and feathered and drummed out of the company all together.
mightyjoeyoung said:

Not sure I agree with your opinion on the blind side.I shoot it and I love it. If a brand of ammo doesn't work for you doesn't mean it wont for others. I would recommend trying it to anyone.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I have shot Xpert and Black Cloud so I can only give my opinion on the two and how they preform with my Benelli Nova factory I/C tube.

Didn't care for the Xpert loads. They just didn't seem to perform well for me. Seems I'd hit birds and not knock'em down.

Love Black Cloud! It's all I shoot now. I like the 3" number 2's or 4's for ducks and 3.5" BB for canada geese.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
matt kreider said:
mightyjoeyoung said:

mightyjoeyoung said:

Not sure I agree with your opinion on the blind side.I shoot it and I love it. If a brand of ammo doesn't work for you doesn't mean it wont for others. I would recommend trying it to anyone.
I agree. They pattern just fine for me. I use #2 for ducks and geese all the time.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yeah guys, I understand what doesn't work for me might be gold for someone else...been doin this for going on 30 years now so I'm no novice here. I have shot the blindsides as have a few of my friends. They have only tested it in one gun. I have shot it in 5 different guns with at least 2 chokes in each and while it patterned fairly well in two of them, penetration straight up stunk. My opinion is based more on knowlege and trial and error than you assume fellas. I have shot litterally about every load to come down the pipe since 1992 and I can honestly say that those loads will never be in my blind bag...ever. They penetrated about HALF what I got with even the BC loads. We took a couple raw turkeys and at 40 yards, the blind sides rarely got full penetration when regular round shot got about 50%+ more passc throughs. And it is PENETRATION...into the vitals and breaking bones that puts birds on the ground, not "trauma" to breast and leag meat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I shoot nothing but black cloud ever since the day I shot a goose with a 3 1/2 in Xpert...hit it..kept flying and my buddy next to me shot with a 3 inch BC and dumped it. I personally think any load is personal preference. If there within range and you "hit" them...they are dead.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
Yeah...been doin this for going on 30 years now so I'm no novice here. took a couple raw turkeys and.. rarely got full penetration.
Well there ya have it. Cant get full penetration on a raw turkey even after 30years of trying.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
mightyjoeyoung said:
Yeah...been doin this for going on 30 years now so I'm no novice here. took a couple raw turkeys and.. rarely got full penetration.
Well there ya have it. Cant get full penetration on a raw turkey even after 30years of trying.
Oh I can...just not with blind side...things that make you go...eeeeeeeeewa.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Your 30 years means nothing to me. I know when I shoot a goose with blind side, the goose is dead.

You'll find blind side penetrates as much as hevi shot. And hevi shot isn't junk. Its just way over priced.

Penetration means nothing to me if the holes are twice the size as standard steel pellets. The pellets taring a huge hole half way through the goose/turkey is way better then a steel ball blow through with a hole that closes up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.