The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am normally not one to report things, or be a rat as some may say. After reading many posts on here about doing the right thing and reporting violations, I decided I would try to do the right thing and call in a poaching incident. I called the appropriate regional office this week with a pretty much cut and dry case, provided names, addresses, date, location, even hard photographic evidence that would of Definetly lead to a guilty verdict. The dispatcher was not very pleasant, and I was told that the local wco would call me, never received a call, I know they're busy this time of year, buy there's no way anyone is that busy they can't make a 5 minute phone call. They were not even interested in me sending an email of the evidence. I'm pretty disgusted to say the least, I take my time out to report something and don't even get a call back. I've heard the sane thing from a couple other hunters this year, didn't believe it until I experienced it myself. Btw, this involved multiple big game animals being taken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,770 Posts
Call back and ask to talk to a supervisor or WCO, don't take no for an answer, you will get results. Call another office if you are stonewalled by a "person with poor attitude", the best thing you can do to oe of those yahoo's is put them in their place.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,632 Posts
You did the right thing making the call. Good for you. Hopefully someone will get back to you in the next day or so. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,578 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Call back and ask to talk to a supervisor or WCO, don't take no for an answer, you will get results. Call another office if you are stonewalled by a "person with poor attitude", the best thing you can do to oe of those yahoo's is put them in their place.
He shouldn't have to call back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might have a change of heart and try it again Monday, but don't feel I should have to. I can't be caught on my phone at work, and wasted my lunch time sneaking outside to make the call! If I hear nothing, I will post the picture in this site, and you will see how easy of a bust it could of been.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Happed to us as well...
Called WCO that gave us his card, and said to call with any problems. Actually told not to call DWCO I have grown up with knowing(even gave me my HTE course as a kid). Well, the WCO couldn't care less about poached trophy buck! Said not too much the could do! Was overly concerned about atvs on SGL though! Told us to call him back if we experienced any problems with 4 wheelers....
Needless to say VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!

Next call was to local DWCO (same one told not to call) everyone knows in the surrounding counties....45 minutes later poached buck head was on my poarch being 'showed off' and the fines and paperwork were in the making!!!!

Some guys wear the green to make a difference, seems others wear it to compensate for whatever and make enemies...

Keep trying, hopefully you get the help you need!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
Every phone call is recored and every call becomes a trackable incident that the WCO has to clear. Perhaps he was on vacation, howerver call back and ask to speak with the Law Enforcement supervisor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,007 Posts
If you get rebuffed at the Region Office (Dispatcher, Law Enforcement Supervisor, Region Director), you do have other options:
1. The PGC Commissioner who represents your area.
2. PGC in Harrisburg.
3. Political intervention, e.g. your representatives, Senator Alloway's office, others.

If your story is true, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then the conversation you had with the Dispatcher is not acceptable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will call Monday one more time and see what happens. It's possible they were busy or on vacation, but really expected faster results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
R.W.J said:
Every phone call is recored and every call becomes a trackable incident that the WCO has to clear. Perhaps he was on vacation, howerver call back and ask to speak with the Law Enforcement supervisor.
Recorded???

How about their cell phone number written on WCO's card we were given. Bet no record of that happening?!?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,007 Posts
WADMAN said:
R.W.J said:
Every phone call is recored and every call becomes a trackable incident that the WCO has to clear. Perhaps he was on vacation, howerver call back and ask to speak with the Law Enforcement supervisor.
Recorded???

How about their cell phone number written on WCO's card we were given. Bet no record of that happening?!?!?
R.W.J is talking about calls to the Region Office, not cell phones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
WADMAN said:
R.W.J said:
Every phone call is recored and every call becomes a trackable incident that the WCO has to clear. Perhaps he was on vacation, howerver call back and ask to speak with the Law Enforcement supervisor.
Recorded???

How about their cell phone number written on WCO's card we were given. Bet no record of that happening?!?!?
R.W.J is talking about calls to the Region Office, not cell phones.
Really??? Thanks for clearing that up!!!!

Don't you think any call of such nature should generate a paper trail?!?!
In the medical field the saying is, you Didnt document it, you didn't do it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
I made a call like that on the last Saturday of deer season. Called the NW Region office. I had the WCO there within 1 1/2 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
You are not a rat but a concerned sportsman. I get so tired of people with such attitudes on the phone. There are plenty of people that would love to have such a job and be very responsible at it .Sounds like the person answering the phones thinks that their job is quite safe.You will get action if you get to the right people . Then find out who the original call went to and get them out of a postion they are not qualified for . Best of luck . We should all be so much a watchdog .
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,585 Posts
It could be the investigation has started and the WCO will call at a later date.Perhaps for more info or to update or thank you.I have been too busy to make a 5 minute phone call before.The WCO may have 10-15 "5" minute calls to make.There are quite a few legitimate reasons the WCO didn't call you yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
Do not think of it of being a "rat" we meed more like you who do not turn their backs and stand up for this. Especially if it were multiple incidents. Thanks for trying again.............I hate slob poachers! Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
I suspect the game commission is not overstaffed with personel. I'm sure they put in the most time on the job, when gun season is in effect for the two weeks.
All outside personnel think they are alone and at the top of the complaint list.
With over 600,000 hunters roaming Penn's Woods, the job of control becomes overwhelming.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top