The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a buck i harvested skull bleached. Suggest anyone? What are the proces ruffly i know they are all different

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
i boil mine for right about 8 hours in a pot on an outside grill burner...

skin the skull out and get off as much meat as possible..cut along the inside of the bottom jaw on both sides and remove that mass of meat and the tounge..you dont have to get real picky and get every piece of meat...but trim what you can...

i then wrap the antler bases in foil as good as i can..then i wrap the bases and the rest of the antlers in plastic wrap and electrical tape..i tape the bases as good as possible...it takes some time but i try to get a nice seal so the antlers stay dry and wont loose color..

once the pot is full of water, i squirt a good bunch of Dawn dish soap in the water....throw the skull in and let it cook...water doesnt need to be a roaring boil..but needs to be hot and lightly boiling...hard to get such a big pot of water to boil outside on a grill burner..i leave mine on high and its hardly a boil..but HOT and steaming hard and water moving/lightly bubbling..

i check it atleast every hour..after a few hours i'll pull it out and pull off what i can with pliers and a brush...bottom jaws usually pull off too which is fine...spraying it with the hose helps too..

on the very back of the skull is the toughest meat to get off...when that scrapes off easily with a knife, the skull is done..everything else should be off or will come off REAL easily...

make sure the whole skull is submerged and stayes submerged...if its not, it will mess up the color..i had a bear skull float and i dont think i'll be able to get it white...

add some dish soap every so often when you check it/add water etc...

the dish soap cut the grease...you need to minimize grease in the bone to get a nice even white color...

after 6-7 hrs and i got most everything off the skull and got the brain etc out, i dump the water and start fresh with more soap...again, thats to minimize grease in the bone...

after its done, i clean it with the hose, knife, pliers, brush and get it clean....

i then get a bucket of regular peroxide and submerge the whole skull in it...its like 1$ for a big bottle at the dollar store...alot of guys goto hair salons and buy their 40% peroxide and its much quicker...i let mine sit in the bucket of 3% for like 2 days...if its not white enough leave it in longer...check it once or twice a day...let it dry a few minutes to see what the color is like...you dont want it in there forever...once its white, take it out and let it dry...

i set mine in the sun the day i pulled it out and wet it down with the peroxide to let the sun farther bleach it...after that i rinsed it off and let it dry and it was done...

heres pics of the one i did this year...got a bear and yote in peroxide now...

simple..just takes a little time..but its practically a free skull mount...

i found using my method, the bone stays nice and hard...been on the wall over a month and its still nice and hard and white...using bleach looks good at first, but quickly turns chalky and yellows quickly..(also that one wasnt done with soap which i think farthered the yellowing..)

thats MY method..the one in the pic was the first i did with that method, but so far im really happy with it..happy enough i am doing a yote and bear skull the same way...

oh ya...keep the antlers wrapped when in the peroxide...thats the most important time to keep the antlers dry...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts