The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting Blazer vanes now for several years now, and I really do like them. So far I've been building them with a straight fletch. Is there a benefit to going to a helical fletch? Which fletch should I shoot---right or left??? I'm right handed and shoot with a Rip Cord Red rest.

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
There's a huge benefit to fletching them helical.Right helical is best.Left helical could could cause the BH to unscrew at impact.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Well shoot, I thought all vanes were supposed to be straight and helical, right or left, was a design best suited for traditional archery using feathers.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I shot straight ones for several years and still had some difficulty with fixed blade broadhead control out of extremely fast bows (330+ fps). I started fletching them with a full right helical and it made a huge difference. I wont shoot them any other way anymore. Because its a short vane, you dont get a huge amount of helical, but its enough to create alot of spin and help stabilize the arrow faster coming out of the bow.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I've read a couple of articles over the past year or two on arrow stabilization. I don;t know if it was here or archery talk where there was test done on which vane of feather was the best. But it all came down to getting the arrow to stabilize as quickly as possible out of the bow. The results were quick spins and then 3 in feathers with helical for a fixed brodhead. Kind of hard to get to any helical out of regular blazer.

I shot blazers for a while, then i shot razr feathers. Saw a big diff when i was able to put some helical on the feathers. I just recently fletched a new batch of arrows with 3 in feathers with a nice right helical( right helical for right hand) and did a five foot paper tune last night. So far so good but the true test shows up on walk back tune and 40 yard shots with Grizz tricks.

If you fletch your own and got time to play, try a couple styles and sizes. My buddy couldn;t get his bow to tune with quick spins but shot fine with regular blazers.

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
I use an arizona EZ fletch mini for blazers and it puts a very radical helical on them.

When bows starting getting fast,the best invention to come along was a dropaway rest because it allowed you to put an aggressive helical on without having any fletching contact problems.I wouldn't even consider not using as much helical as I can get.

Right or left helical is not dependent on whether or not you shoot right or left handed.It may make a diffeence with traditional equiptmnet and glued on tips but it makes no difference with a compund because you're not shooting off the shelf.You want right helical.Left helical will spin the arrow in the opposite direction of the insert's threads.It may be a moot point but it can cause the BH to loosen on impact and you may lose some blades,depending on what BH you're shooting.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
When I shot feathers I always shot a hard helical but since going to shorter vanes I have went with an offset. I still think the helical feathers shot alittle better but 9 days of rain in Colorado switched me to the plastic vanes!

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
I currently shoot an arrow with a hard helical right twist on my hunting broad heads with the original 4" quick spins. They provide very accurate groups, but loose some power after 35 yards.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I generally will use right helical on 4 inch fletch, but i use a slight few degree right offset on a straight clamp bitzenberger when i use 2 inch blazers because of their size.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I use as much helical as I can get on my blazers. I wouldn't buy arrows with blazers already on them because there isn't enough twist. The more, the better. If you tune your bow correctly and shoot the right arrow, helical blazers won't have any problem stabilizing any fixed blade.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I fletch my Beman ICS shafts with a blazer Helix jig it is specifically made to fletch a blazer with helical. Definitely noticed better groups esp. at longer distances. I use a QAD HDX the helical works well. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
7,999 Posts
I use 2" Fusions with a right helical. Superb arrow flight, BUT....I also have my bow tuned so that bare shafts hit with fletched (with field points) to 30 yards, too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
+1 on the Arizona mini fletch.i have an offset fletcher and the mini.the mini puts on a much more aggressive helical.

·
Registered
766 Posts
slammer said:
I was thinking of buying the tower do they apply the fletching with enough pressure.
It comes with a couple of different pieces that you slide down over the tower and it clamps the fletchings down very tight. You have to tinker with it just a little to get used to it, but I can fletch up a few arrows in not time at all. Here are a couple of pics:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I use an Arizona EZ-Mini to fletch Blazers with Helical and it works great. It puts some serious helical on though. But I get great fixed blade broadhead flight out to 40 yards (Haven't shot any farther than that):

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm all about the helical on a blazer, I use a bitzenburger w/ a right heli clamp. For those out there who say you can't heli a 2" blazer, check out the pics. This is on a CX Maxima & have full vane contact...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts