The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I am shooting a Mathews Hyperlite bow and have carbon arrows with Blazer vanes. The Hyperlite doesn't have the roller system on the cables just the plastic slide.

My problem is the Blazer vanes are hitting my cables (a clearance problem). I am noticing wear on the cables and I don't want to let this continue in the fear that my cables will wear down. What can be done to prevent this problem? A friend had suggested cutting Blazer vanes so that they do not stick out so much; but I do not like this idea. Can I just turn the nocks so that I don't have any vanes on that side. I am shooting with a drop away rest and nock my arrows with the cock feather up.

I got the Blazer vanes because I was told they are supposed to be better in regards to flight but it seems they are a higher profile vane and may not be the best option.

Are others having this problem?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
This is the first time I've heard that problem on a hyperlite. First, check your centershot to make sure it is true. You dont want that sort of problem. If your centershot is good, just turn the arrow and shoot it cock vane out. You shouldnt have any problems, as long as you have clearance with your drop away.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I shot cock vane down on my sq2. If I have the cock vane straight down, the inside vane will hit the cable also. I just turn them a bit to clear and don't have any problems whatsoever. I shoot a drop away rest also. You should be fine doing that.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be your center shot as well. Just make sure everything is lined up in the center of the bow. You can do this by eye balling your string into the very center of your bow. If your rest sits one way or the other in relation to your string then your center shot is off. If it is not, i see no problem turning the nock a little to correct this if you are shooting a drop away rest.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I was down at the shop this morning looking at the cable slide bars on the Hyperlite and various Mission bows. I have never heard of vanes hitting a cable unless it was an older bow that had the cable bar that would adjust. Every bow I looked at today from the front the cable and string were behind the riser as they should be. If in fact the cable is in that close then if the vane didn't hit the cable it would be hitting the riser! Maybe a torguing problem? My buddies son torgues his bow every once in awhile and his kisser hits his cable slide and breaks. Had a guy come in one day that wasn't much of a shot and he had torqued the bow or hit his arm or clothing so bad that his string was on the outside of the cable slide!! I would check centershot 1st, shaft right down the line in the grip or 13/16" from riser to center of shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts