The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am new to muzzleloaders and did a lot of research prior to purchacing a Triumph in January. I shoot with open sights because you cannot use a scope in Colorado during hunting season. I tried 777 and Jim Shockey's, both in FFG. The 777 groups were OK. Jim Shockey's gave me speed variasions of almost 200 fps shot to shot and groups were miserable.

I recently tried Blackhorn 209. It is grouping well as long as I do not move when it hang fires. Load is 120 grains with 350 grain Hornady FPB bullets. I am using W209 Shotshell Primers. I would like to continue using the Blackhorn 209 if I can eliminate the hang fires.

I have read as much as I can find regarding hang fires with this powder on different types of muzzle loaders. The information that makes sence to me is regarding the flash hole size. The recommended flash hole size is .035 - .036 inches. I have been religous about making sure the flash hole and breech plug are clean, although the flash hole channel can be hard to get everything out of. I was looking on-line today trying to verify the size of the flash hole on my Speed Breech XT Breech Plug. I could not find that information. Can you provide it. My measurements of the flash hole inside the concave end would probably not be accurate.

Looking for options here. I am considering asking a gunsmith to drill the flash hole to .036 inches if it is smaller than what the Blackhorn 209 needs.

Thoughts/Information Appreciated

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
W209 primers are your problem. Federal 209A or better yet, CCI 209M primers are the best to use. Winchesters are not hot enough. Leave your plug alone! Just change your primers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,

I had considered trying different primers but had no idea what brand to try. Will leave the plug alone for now. Headed out to get some CCI 209M shortly. Never tried real black powder. The Blackhorn is easy to clean compaired to Jim Shockey and 777.

Going to the range almost every week trying to get it right is part of the fun! I will let you know hw it goes next week. Had some beautiful weather last week at Colorado's Cherry Creek State Park, Shooting Center. Barely a slight breeze and mid 40's.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
21,022 Posts
I've been using blackhorn 209 extensives for the past year in my inline.Here's my take.It is expensive and hard to get so I stock up in the beginning of the year and make sure I have enough to make it through the season.I just bought some last month and it went down in price considerably however.You have to use standard 209 primer,which is good because they cost less than the triple 7 primers.I can shoot shot after shot with no change in impact or increased effort loading.I think it actually loads easier with a fouled barrel than a clean one.It also shoots consistant regardless of the temperature.I've noticed a significant change in impact at diffeent temperature extremes with 777.Clean-up is easy but you have to use an oil based solvent like Hoppes no.9.Blackhorn 209 is a definant winner in my opinion.

I just use standard CCI 209 primers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I started shooting the encore with 777 and never had any concistency, I have switched to REAL black powder and the majority of my problems went away. I don't find it any more difficult to clean than any other powder in the inlines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy Folks,

I tried the CCI 209M primers and the hang fires went away!

Can't say much for my grouping though. Once I got rid of the hang fires, I had to go back to 50 yards to get on paper again. I did not think that would make such a difference. I guess that is the difference between muzzleloaders and center fire rifles. This one is very picky! Thats OK with me. Now I get to keep playing with the load. I will probably go down to 100 grains and vary it up from there to see what will group. I am big on consistent shot placement. Hot loads are fun though!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
120gr BH209 , 270GR Powerbelt Platinum, CCI 209M @ 100 yards. Low shot was my last adjustment shot.

110gr BH309, 245gr Powerbelt, CCI 209M @ 100 yards. I pulled shot #2 as you can see.
Love this powder!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts