The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Works great in my TC Omega. Cleaner burning and easier clean up than BP. Easier to ignite than pellets. Accuracy was slightly better also. Only problem I experienced was with a Wolf inline, Could not get it to ignite. Wolf makes a special breach plug made especially for use with Blackhorn 209.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Absolutely love Blackhorn 209 powder. I have used it for about three years now. Like PA/MDBowhunter said, it is really clean burning and easy to clean. I have not had any ignition problems. It is recommended to use regular shotshell primers, not the muzzleloading ones.

I use 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a 300 grain Hornady Saboted SST Bullet. I have killed a bull elk and two black bears with that setup.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I use 100 gr of BH209 with the 200 gr TC shockwave in my CVA Optima V2 for deer in the early muzzleloader season. Shoots great, puts deer down. I use CCI 209 magnum primers. Cleans easily with Hoppe's #9. Best powder choice for an inline.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Used BH for sometime cleans up with Hoppes, also recently change my encore rifle inline to a precision rifle large rifle primer breech plug using CCI mag rifle primers, less crud in the breech plug than shotgun primers.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Great powder. I have used it since it came out. Truth be told it's a rifle powder. Cleans easy smokes less. Don't absorb moisture. Nothing to dislike.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, another question. I noticed the breech plugs Blackhorn sell (R) are counter bored ~.500".

Have anyone found this to be necessary for consistent ignition when using Blackhorn?
My rifle is a .45 CVA Hunterbolt. I've already replaced the original plug with the Acura hex style which is faced off like the one on the left. and wondering if it would be a good idea or reason to counter bore it the same way.

Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tried Blackhorn for the first time this year. Works great in my TC impact. Accurate and cleans up nicely.

Reactions: bigguy54

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only problem I had with Blackhorn was I couldn't give the Triple 7 away fast enough!
I shoot 100 grains volume with a 250 grain FTX or XTP and a Harvester crush rib sabot out of a Triumph.. At 100 yards there is very little difference, under an inch. I killed deer with both last year.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
OK, another question. I noticed the breech plugs Blackhorn sell (R) are counter bored ~.500".

Have anyone found this to be necessary for consistent ignition when using Blackhorn?
My rifle is a .45 CVA Hunterbolt. I've already replaced the original plug with the Acura hex style which is faced off like the one on the left. and wondering if it would be a good idea or reason to counter bore it the same way.

Bill
I use a TC Omega. Never used any other powder in the rifle. Never had any ignition problems even in the rain. Never looked at the plug except to clean it. I do not use Black Powder primers. I use federal 209a.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Blackhorn 209 is worth every cent that it costs. You need significantly (like almost 30%) less of it to achieve the same velocities as Triple 7, you can get better velocities at max charge and the accuracy is unreal. My T/C Omega went from decent to incredible using the stuff. Like lefteye, I couldn't get rid of my last few pounds of Triple 7 fast enough once I discover BH209. With a 350 gr. Harvester Saber Tooth gas checked bullet, 50 yard 3-shot groups are 1 ragged hole with a 120 gr./max powder charge, and well under MOA at 100 yards. The groups are only slightly less accurate when I dial down the charge to a less punishing 100 gr. load.

I've killed two does using that 100 gr. BH209/350 gr. Saber Tooth combination this year, the second one being a 144 yard, dead-right-there kill. Nice, flat trajectory due to the great velocity, and confidence-inspiring accuracy, even at extended range.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I just got a CVA wolf. Will I have any problems using this powder in it?
You should be fine, but I would make one precaution on your behalf: they make a Blackhorn 209-specific breechplug for the Wolf and I would highly suggest getting it. As was shown earlier by WildBill, some breechplugs put the primer well away from the main charge. That can be a problem with BH209. Because it's a nitrocellulose-based powder (somewhat like smokeless rifle powder), BH209 requires a strong pressure spike to get it properly ignited. Having the primer detonate too far away from the main charge can diminish that initial pressure spike and cause the powder to slow-burn instead of a detonating. The end result is a bullet getting farted out of the barrel about 10 yards in front of you instead of blazing downrange, followed by a quiet burp of fire out of your muzzle. The same can happen if you willfully soft-seat your bullets over the powder, so always be sure to press down firmly when loading to ensure proper ignition. I have never had an issue in the field and kill deer with confidence using BH209.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have used bh for a long time in both my TC triumph and TC prohunter fx. Great accuracy, long shelf life , no need to swab between shots, very easy clean up with hoppes 9 or any other solvent. GREAT STUFF

1 - 17 of 17 Posts