The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 5 gallons of black berries up north over the weekend in just a couple of hours!!

Most are as big as my thumb! I could have picked 20 gallons or more if I had the time!

This is the first time ever I picked berries in SEPTEMBER!
Missed the season at home, so this was a real treat for me. Blackberry pie for dinner tonight!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i'll be right over. Blackberry mojitos for me though, and made with splenda too. GOOD FIND! my trees are all dried up now.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Got a real hot spot for them myself.
Acres upon acres. Was there yesterday and could have left with 20 # or more to fill a 5 gallon bucket!
Skeeters were horrible though! We ate our fill and none made it home.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just smashed the bags to break the berries like you would ice, and put them on cookie sheets so I can be ready for the pie thing this afternoon!

Can't wait!

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Got 5 gallons of black berries up north over the weekend in just a couple of hours!!

Most are as big as my thumb! I could have picked 20 gallons or more if I had the time!

This is the first time ever I picked berries in SEPTEMBER!
Missed the season at home, so this was a real treat for me. Blackberry pie for dinner tonight!
I've found some blackberries here and there, but haven't found places to pick real quantities. What sort of sites do you look for out there?

Also, would appreciate tips for finding elderberries, if they are still in season.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was in a 4 or 5 year old clear cut, right along logging roads.

Saw elderberries, but looked like the birds got most all of em.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
The Black Berries that grow on my Buddy's farm have been strange this year...normally they are done about the beginning of August..not this year, there are still a few getting ripe and I been picking...just wish that I could get them cleared out a bit to make it easier and able to get the HUGE ones that grow in the middle of all the tangled stalks!

Don't Forget...

September is Fox Grape Picking Time...

I'll be heading out this week sometime to hit my Favorite Spots!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
This was in a 4 or 5 year old clear cut, right along logging roads.
Mine is a three yr. old clear cut....

PS Elderberries as well. Funny part is ANYONE has access to it!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Making the pies right now! Crusts are rolled, berries measured, oven on pre-heat!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I screwed up the first two pies. Mebbe they'll taste OK. Sugar, flour, berries, brown sugar... how bad could they be?

·
Registered
36,611 Posts
I'm sure they'll taste good as long as you used sugar, not salt like somebody I knew once. She said "Well they look the same". Any of your local bears would be more than happy to give them a taste test for you!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sugar. I mixed flouw and tapioca- and think I used a bit much. They could be dry. We'll have to eat them and see

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They actually aren't bad at all! I really like them!

I made them with Splenda because my friend's Dad is a diabetic, and figured may as well go that route with both.

1 cup splenda
1/8 cup tapioca
1/8 cup flour.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

A friend knew I didn't get blackberries at home this year- he always looks forward to my jelly. His family and the neighbors went to camp over the weekend in Tioga. Their grandkids picked berries for me.

I got another 20#'s coming!

I didn't have the heart to tell him I got so many already!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I am now PURPLE. I put away enough berries for 7 pies (already made 2) and am 75% done preparing the juice for jelly.

Watch those other berries show up at my door today, lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
SEPTEMBER IS PRIME BLACK BERRY TIME IN THE NORTHERN TIER. IT'S STILL A PRETTY GOOD TIME FOR HUCKELBERRIES UP HERE (SWAMPERS AND HIGH BUSH)TOO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts