The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up about 100 black walnut this morning. The ground was covered with them.
Now how do I go about getting them to sprout and grow? Last year I put a lot of them out for the squirrel and hoped they would plant them for me. They must have ate them all because I don't see any seedlings.
Any advice?

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Around here, the darn things come up like weeds. I've heard that they need to be exposed to a winter/frosty weather before they will sprout, but have no idea if that is true.

Just waiting till a rainy spell and heeling them into the ground ought to work. I've noticed that the seedlings I pull out, still have the vestiges of the hard nut shell right at the surface of the ground.

I'm also not sure that theey will come up after just one year. There are some plants that require thhe seeds lay for two years before they germinate. Viburnum Trilobum is one (high bush cranberries)

·
Registered
806 Posts
the taste is quite unique, I'ld say like a stout, potent, walnut. very pungent flavor, i love them in the chocolate chip cookies.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You sure you want to plant walnuts???? They keep other beneficial plants from growing. Their root systems give off a toxin that kills other plants.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
When they mature in 40-50 years you will get some good $$$$ for the trees!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
DCabets28 said:
When they mature in 40-50 years you will get some good $$$$ for the trees!!!!

Dave

Actually it would take 80-100 yrs for Walnut to reach timber maturity(20-24" diameter) and Walnut up in Pa doesn't tend to grow very well(poor quality). Even if it does grow well, it still wouldn't be worth as much as Cherry if current timber pricing trends hold true.

You would be better off planting Northern Red Oak(not black, scarlet or pin oak) for future timber value as well as wildlife food.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
rroae doesn't lie... We had part of our property selectively cut a few years back. They mostly took out red oak. The amount of money were were getting per tree was incredible! Apparently red oaks from PA are sought the world over...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try putting them in the freezer for 2 weeks then plant and see what happens over time. Yes, you can do this for acorns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts