The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a Super Black Eagle off of a buddy of mine for a killer deal. The gun is all black, does this make a difference in the turkey woods, should I be worried about trying to conceal it? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
972 Posts
If it is a good deal, snag it. They make nice "skins" for them now.

Many a turkey have fallen to non camo guns. No movement is more important ........

·
Registered
895 Posts
Black will work......your movement is more important to pay attention to !!

If you get a good deal on the gun...perhaps you can get it dipped to the camo of you preference....it it really matter to you !!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Been using a black Super X2 for 9 years. Have yet to see it affect one single hunt in a negative way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thoughts exactly just needed some reassurance. I actually feel like Im ripping the guy off. Its my best friend and he prefers his 11-87 so I hunt ducks with this SBE all the time anyways. Any problems with the original SBE?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have black matte finished turkey shotguns and full camo ones. It does'nt make a difference at all. As long as they are not shiny and you do not move. I would buy it if it's a good deal.

·
Registered
895 Posts
None that I am aware off.....just have to find the right choke/ammo combo.
Start by calling either the ammo companies to find out what chokes they reccomend for your gun or check with choke companies to find out what ammo works with your gun.
you will have to tell them the make and length of barrel you have.....it makes a difference

·
Super Moderator
13,714 Posts
If the barrel is pointing at the target the turkey can not tell what color the stock is?

I shot several Spring Gobbler using a Browning A5 with a high gloss stock.

You can't go wrong with either. Camo may give you some more "Style points."

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Rambo93 said:
My thoughts exactly just needed some reassurance. I actually feel like Im ripping the guy off. Its my best friend and he prefers his 11-87 so I hunt ducks with this SBE all the time anyways. Any problems with the original SBE?
I own a SBE I with a 24" barrel and full camo. IMO it's one of the best made. No problems of any kind.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My only thought on the matter is safety. Turkeys are black and it may be a problem if you are hunting on public land. If this is not a concern then go for it. I prefer camo myself but everyone has their own preference.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Some of the earlier SBE's had issues with not shooting to POA. Some guys had to get barrels bent to get them shooting where they were looking.

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
Rambo93 said:
The gun is all black, does this make a difference in the turkey woods, should I be worried about trying to conceal it? Thanks guys!
I've killed gobblers with regular wooden stocks, black stocks and camo stocks, so no, color means nothing. Besides there are lots of things in the woods that are black.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Don't believe all the Hype, black will work no problem. You can always get camo spray bombs and paint it to suit your needs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I cant pass up this deal, sold my 835 to fund a new semi auto camo stoeger then my buddy presented me with the benelli for almost the same price as a stoeger goes for.
Cant pass that deal up!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I'm not convinced that color even matters. I've been using the old wood stock 870 for years, and that thing is beat on. Some of the dipped guns almost shine in the sun. I'd say overall concealment is priority over gun color. Never did understand some of those hunts on TV where guys are in the wide open fields, back against a big tree and turkey at their feet. Without cover, they'll see you blink before they notice that gun. Been there, done that

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I guarantee you though...you won't get the patterns out of that Benelli like you could from your 835. I know...I own 3 835's and a SBE II and all three 835's put the SBE to shame on the pattern board and I have done some serious work on the SBE II to try! You can at least rest assured that you most definitely have one of the best autos you can own for sure!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts