The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
About 40 years ago, Congress considered making powder companies add chemical tags to their powder, so that powder, or it's residue could be traced to a manufacturer and lot, and perhaps back through the wholesalers. The problem is all the FAKE powders and other smokeless powders. Instead of just a half dozen makers, there are now 50 makers of the different kinds of powder, not to mention those who make it themselves.

It is far too early at this point for rational call for knee jerk legislation and rules. Might have been white powder, sugar powder, ANFO etc.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
My bet would be on an over the counter substitute that can be purchased for cash from a box store anonymously. Some reporters are still talking about ball bearings and BBs even though the surgeons have given press conferences saying they have removed no such items from victims.

At this point, if somebody said it smelled like farts, folks would worry about registering beans and go stock up.

I worry, given the number of copycats of shooters going nuts across the country after Newtown, how many idiots will now be making bombs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those folks that worry about beans or anything else being register don't have any good fear that could happen!Have you tried to buy amno latey?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I purchased a brick of 22rf a year ago.

when it comes to center fire, I have the powder, lead, molds, dies, brass and primers to load my self. Got enough to shoot for decades without going to the settlement for supplies. Don't need no stinking store ammo.

Something about those who need store ammo that says they do not share the independent early American spirit some of us have. (And the song says country boys will survive. Not those who need store ammo)

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Janet Reno (remember her?) wanted to use "Tag-ints" AKA Tag Inserts as a way to track all explosives. However, she and the ATF were eventually convinced that explosives are so much a part of our lives in terms of construction that using them as a tracking mechanism would be a nightmare becasue they would be all over the place. Also, there was a concern that the addition of the "Tag-Ints" would change the explosive properties of known compounds and would cause a recalibration of all known explosive property calculations.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have mostly the same things you have. Just trying to give a head's up to the guy's that might be low on supplies time to restock.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The Chechens don't need to use black powder or smokeless powder because they have the real stuff- C4 or equivalent.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
The gentlearse from NJ, Lautenberg, introduced a bill in congress on April 17 to require a back round check for any and all sporting powder purchases. Next plant food and diesel fuel?

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
R2D2 said:
bought a pound of 4F yesterday.......$25!!!!!

The last I looked, a license to sell has a $500 per year fee attached. So a small retailer ...do the math as to what the price per pound has to become.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts