The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to commit to hunting turkeys with blackpowder. With that being said, can someone recommend a decent shotgun, and if so where to purchase?

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Sent You a PM.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a CVA Gobbler percussion lock that fits the bill until I can afford a custom or find time to build my own. I've heard a lot of good things about the Knight TK2000, if an inline is more your style. If you're looking for a more custom, classic-styled flintlock or percussion fowler, a trip across the state to Dixon's would be well worth it, and the Dixie Gun Works catalog has some nice stuff in it as well. There's also more than a few good gun makers on this site if you do a little digging.

Good luck. Fair warning, they're addictive!

·
Registered
264 Posts
T/C New Englander: Watch E-Bay for 12 gauge barrels and Buttstocks sold as PARTS ! I have put three together . watch for the Modified choked barrel, may take awhile.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Pedersoli makes a nice dbl. Not inexpensive. Dixie sold a single barrel Magnum Cape gun, also expensive. CVA sold a single barrel shotgun, called the Trapper, as I recall. They come up infrequently on gunbroker. Keep your eyes open for a used trade gun. Even a Brown Bess repro makes a fair shotgun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advice folks. The more I think about this this is definitely the way I want to go for hunting turkeys.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Check out Historicaltrekking.com Under the Round robin link guns pop up from time to time. Right now there is a 12 and a 16 ga flinter up for sale.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I just picked up my first. A never fired CVA double. I creeped daily on gunbrokers before I found the right gun for the right price. They are out there.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I'm currently building a .62 caliber (20 gauge) poorboy styled flint smooth bore from a kit I purchased from Tennessee Valley Manufacturing. I too plan to use it for pheasants and maybe turkeys. If you're good with your hands then this might be a way to go for you and will save you some $. Semi-custom guns can be pricey if you buy already built, but you can cut that price in half if you build it yourself. These guns are not your "in the white" cheapo kits like Traditions, etc. They do require some skill to pull off but are not all that complicated. I really enjoy working on these kits. You can buy parts piece meal and build as you go to spread out costs, or you can buy a whole kit, whichever you prefer. You may want to look into this idea.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of your input folks, I have found a 62 caliber Jackie Brown Smooth Rifle. It should be here in a couple of days. Thanks and I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe it or not, the gun I purchased back in the spring was snapped in half when I got it...I am still in the market if anyone knows of one for sale.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Flifisher said:
Believe it or not, the gun I purchased back in the spring was snapped in half when I got it...I am still in the market if anyone knows of one for sale.
Yowza! That [censored]! I don't remember an update about that. I sure hope you were able to get your funds back. Was it a shipping issue or an unscrupulous seller?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Keep an eye on ALR. And/or make a wtb post...I'm sure one would turn up!

That's where matt/pa found mine when I wasn't looking....lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my $ back in short order, but I think it was a shipping issue more than anything the seller did.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
That's a shame. How badly was the gun broken? I'm assuming the stock was beyond repair?

I must say I've been lucky in this regard. Both kits I've built, when they arrived, there was nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

I can vouch for it being a shipping issue. I used to work for a parcel delivery company and some of those handlers can be animals with other people's property.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Check your alr post...lots of good leads...

Sky is the limit..well....wallet is really...

Are you looking to have it jug choked or looking for a Colerain turkey barrel? Or just a regular ole smoothbore???

I have no smoothbore experience but I doubt you'll be satisfied for a turkey pattern unless your happy with them good n close...which is great..but when they hit 20-25-30 and hang up I wanna hammer them. I have my Colerain lethal to 35yds...

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
mauser06 said:
Are you looking to have it jug choked or looking for a Colerain turkey barrel? Or just a regular ole smoothbore???

I have no smoothbore experience but I doubt you'll be satisfied for a turkey pattern unless your happy with them good n close...which is great..but when they hit 20-25-30 and hang up I wanna hammer them. I have my Colerain lethal to 35yds...
With the right load combination, even a smoothie with no choke can be made to fire a group tight enough to kill a turkey out to 25 or 30 yards.

I've never needed to fire past 25 yards to kll a turkey. If you're decent with calls, you can lure them into the range of even a muzzle loader.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Is there anyway to get a fowler/shotgun barrel in .20 gauge for a T/C hawken. I would like to just swap barrels. My local gunsmith just bored out an old .50 barrel to .20 gauge and put interchangeable chokes on it but im not sure thats they way I want to go.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
All my muzzy SxS and flowler have no chokes and I do fine.See if you can find a Ringed barrel or rusty bore and have Bobby Hoyt bore it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts