The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does BP loose its potency after so long??? I found a shop that still sells it pretty cheap....most places are well over 20$ a pound now....

Was thinking of buying atleast a couple pounds...but i havent even been shooting a pound a year anymore...actually havent been shooting my flinter much at all anymore...

Will it keep a good while??

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have shot powder thats well over 100 years old, as many on here have also. If its always been dry, its good to go.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I bought far too much in 1992 because i got a great deal. This summer I will use the last of it up.

About twenty years ago, I pulled the bullets on some 1870's cartridges and poured the powder into a coffee can. I carelessly set the can on a shelf in a damp work shop shed, with no lid. It sat there subject to humidity, etc for several years until I re-discovered it. It worked just fine, even though it was at that point 130 years old

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys! I knew if kept dry it would still burn....but didnt know if.it would loose its potency or consistency....

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Civil War Collector Killed by Antique Shell
May 10, 2008 8:00 AM

The American Civil War has claimed another casualty. Sam White, a memorabilia collector, found a Civil War-era shell, took it to his Virginia home. It detonated in his driveway, killing him and sending shrapnel as much as a quarter mile away.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
When I lived in VA, I went to a yard sale and there was an unexploded shell on a rickety old card table. Some body had already called the police. Don't know what the bomb squad did with it. when I realized what it was I made a bee line for the car.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
mus42tang said:
Civil War Collector Killed by Antique Shell
May 10, 2008 8:00 AM

The American Civil War has claimed another casualty. Sam White, a memorabilia collector, found a Civil War-era shell, took it to his Virginia home. It detonated in his driveway, killing him and sending shrapnel as much as a quarter mile away.
I remember reading about that.The fella was well versed in munitions and has been doin this for years.If I remember right he excavated that shell from the river.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts