The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can point me toward a breeder here in PA, I'd appreciate it. I'm in the western part of the state.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Check on coondawgs.com they usually have a few for sale around the area....only person I know that breeds them in Pa is near days town lake. 814-329-8727

·
Registered
392 Posts
There was a guy near Frederick, Maryland - a couple hour drive depending on where you are. I can look for his number if you want it.

Just my two cents of advice - look for the best bred pup you can find - no matter if it's across the street or half way across the country.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Make sure you check out the line first. A lot of them are bred for catch dogs on pigs. That is probably their mainstay but there are some good squirrel and coon dogs out there just be careful. Might want to check out some of the squirrel dog sights. When talking bout getting good squirrel and coon dogs you are lucky if you find a litter in PA.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My suggestion, unless you already have, go spend some time with a few. Everyone I have been around was ill. There are good ones for sure but I would be very choosy.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Never been with one but I have heard the same and that is the reason they aren't as popular. Saw a great video of a pair of Ladners that were road hunted. They were real good. I am sure there a plenty out there that are gentle as can be but I would head what mtncurhnts said. Make sure you know the nature of the parents and be sure to socialize your pup with other dogs. If you do that I would think you won't have to worry but of course I don't know for sure. Ole Yellar was a BMC. Guess they used to have a lot of hunts but to many fights. Great watchdog, from what I read, protect you and your family to the death, great farm dog, gritty as you can get but they are real tough dogs and won't back down from anything. These are the thing I have read about them. Used to be a guy on here who had one. Really you can't beat an OMCBA mountain cur. If they get in a fight in a hunt they get scratched and I believe if it happens again they get barred so these dogs are more likely not to be aggressive toward other dogs. Only been to two hunts my whole life and on the one hunt there was nearly 40 dogs there and not a fight in the bunch. Dogs tied up all over the place. This is not to say you aren't gonna find an ill one cause it does happen. Hunted with one once that was just plain jealous if my dog went around or got any attention from it's owner and he tried to scrap with my dogs but this is not at all the norm. Most folks won't keep an ill cur around long.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips. I've been around them for a good many years, my family has always had a few around for squirrel dogs and coon dogs. The last dog passed a few years back, and all of the old timers that ran them with me when I was a youngster are all either in nursing homes or gone. They never really had problems with the dogs scrapping, but I don't remember what line they came from. They had two old female beagles, and the BMCs got along just fine with them. I'll keep looking around and talk to some folks about them. My brother lives in North Carolina, and they seem to be pretty popular there. I hope he can provide me with some insight as well.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Wish I could remember the names of the people who had some in Michigan. Man they looked like nice ones. They are on the UKC board from time to time I think. Hope this video link works for you. Made me think about them but I love my OMCBA. If it does you have to check it out.

http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=61

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob, the link worked for me. Great looking dogs. I'll check around the UKC board for information. I really appreciate your assistance.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sure if I get a chance I migh be able to find some info on them. Don't know why but thinking maybe they use the username Teto on the ukc boards but I have rarely ever seen a post from them. I know they have breed the two dogs shown in the video before because I remember when they had pups off of them for sale. Hope they still have some. Yea they are some nice dogs they have there. They are Ladner BMCs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts