The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law wants to get back into coon hunting and he is insisting on black faced Walkers. I am a GSP man so I know very little about coondogs but can anyone assist us in finding him one?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any idea of Walker Pups on the ground? Not looking to spend alot but just want a female hunting dog. I know the blackfaced comment above can go either way, it is just his preference.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I never had a coondog but I never heard of a blackface walker. I will have to google it. You ought to go to the UKC Message Boards and ask. I am sure someone will help you out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not a specialty or anything, just a preference in the way the head is colored. In my mind I think it was a local line he liked but he didn't ever track lines of dogs and most didn't have papers.

·
Registered
785 Posts
there was a guy on the anerican beagler forums selling some in the [other breeds] forum.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Did it look like this?

If so this is a birddog walker cross. Not all of them look like this of course. This particular dog is a good coon and squirrel dog. The gentleman that owns them just bought a "full sister" to this dog from another litter. I have seen a few with black heads. He was going to have her breed don't know if he ever did.

Here is what my part walker looks like. Not sure of her breeding. Never hunted her on coon. She is a good squirrel dog and I never let her run rabbits until this year and she isn't half bad at it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caxtell, those are exactly what I was looking for. I will try and get ahold of the guy selling and see if any are left.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
the black head is a common trait found in the Lone Pine / Clover bloodlines of Walkers.. Tons of em in W. Pa.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
what body color are you looking for??

there are a few lines out there of predominantly black with white trim....and like was said, the lone pine/wild dogs are predominantly white with black trim (many not all...) ive never seen a single lone pine/wild dog have a full black head though..and ive hunted against a pile of them...

if its mostly a black walker dog, i can dig through the 4 Bloodlines mags i have here in NC and see if the black ones im thinking of are in any of them...i cant think of that bloodline im thinkin of off the top of my head...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wayne....Why would any one want to hunt a T-Walker when they can hunt a Bootick...Ifn you buy a walker you might as well invest in a E-coller...hehehe

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ole Blue, to each their own.. I've hunted with a lot of good Lone Pine dogs.. Their like a bootick in Walker clothes..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well good news and hopefully better news. We got a redbone who is already treening alone, she is 2, but he (FIL) is still after a Black Faced TW. He is interested in hunting dogs not competiton. Not a huge budget to work with, but if anyone knows of any either, reply or PM me with more info.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After doing some more research we were looking for "wild" or "Clover" line of dogs. Anyone know of any available?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts