The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase either one of these chokes.....I have read great things on both...just wanting to see what some HPAers have to say about it...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Both will shoot well out of certain guns, if you know some one that has both try them then decide. I have a mossberg 835 xf turkey choke for sale posted tonight and I am here to tell you none of the two mentioned patterened any better. JMO though!!!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If t was my money, based on experience with all the chokes mentioned above in the 835, I'd get the Indian creek. Also, don't overlook the the tru glo ssx. It will likely out pattern them all, for less money.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I don't ues my 835 any more, But I do have a BDS and a JH that I shoot in my 1187's. The BDS will put 50ish more hits in the 10 at 40. But if I was looking for a choke for my 835 it would b a preston pittman starr dot. Guys on Oldgobbler are putting up very good numbers with that choke...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a 835 and tried them all out of it don't mess around get a briley x full turkey choke in straight rifling. Imo that is the best pattern of a choke in moss 835 good luck

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You can have 10 different 835's and 10 different chokes and they all might prefer a different shotshell.
The great thing about Pure Gold and Indian Creek is they will let you exchange a choke for another if it does not work (within reasonable expectations) in your shotgun.
One choke that I hear is very consistent in the 835's is the Star Dot.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It is going to depend on the type of shot, the size of the shot and the payload you plan on using that will determine where you need to start looking for chokes.

I have owned 7 835's from the first one of two ever purchased in Erie, to the current model available. Except for the first one that really seemed to like Hastings chokes and lead 4's and 5's, every single one I have owned (and I still own 3), has shot extremely well with a Jellyhead .690 with HTL 6's, rediculously well with the Truglo SSX .670 with HTL 6's and 7's and darn near as well as the SSX with the Pure Gold .670 with HTL 6's and 7's. If you plan on shooting strickly lead you will definitely find that the choke that gives you great patterns with HTL, may not put enough of a pattern up to do the job with lead loads and vice versa. On a side note, I purchased the new Truglo Bone Collector Smackdown .670 last spring for my dedicated turkey killer 835 and it literally shot every load I fed it extremely well to absolutely unbelievably great, putting numbers up that I haven't ever gotten in almost 30 years of turkey hunting. It handled the horribly finicky flight control wads in the Federal Heavy Weight 7's superbly, giving me mid 230's in the 10" circle and the patterns were very even. It put up the densest, most even, destructive pattern I have ever shot with Hevi Shot 3.5" 7's too. And lead loads?! It ate up the Federal Grand Slam and Winchester Supreme 3.5", 2 ounce 6's like it was made for them, putting up an avg. 158/10" at 40 yards with both loadings. It also only runs a whopping $50 bucks, which makes it that much better of a deal. You might want to look at one...

·
Registered
18,427 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
It is going to depend on the type of shot, the size of the shot and the payload you plan on using that will determine where you need to start looking for chokes.
+1
I'm getting great results in my 835 shooting a Rhino (.695) and 3 1/2" Nitro's (4 X 5 X 7's).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts