The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but there's not a birding forum. I see what I believe to be Black Crowned Night Herons feeding nightly along the susquehanna. I posted it here since I'm hoping to get pics of them tonight to confirm this. I was curious as to how rare these birds are? I did locate a rookery of black crowned night herons a few years ago here in lancaster and actually rescued a juvenile that ended up being rehabilitated. (fell from the nest at a VERY young age) I looked at them through binocs and they didn't look like yellow crowned from what I could tell. Unfortunately the binocs were horrible and it was getting pretty dark.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
They are rare throughout the state except along the Susquehanna river where they traditionally nest on a couple of islands. Now is a good time to see many types of shore and wading birds as this is their fall migration time. So yes, rare in the state overall, far more common along the Susquehanna. A good find nonetheless anywhere in PA!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah eight bore...I did have to notify someone with the state of the rookery. At the time I believe there were less than 5 or 6 known rookeries in the state.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good to hear . There has been a rookery in York by Kiwanis Lake . I have not heard much about it this summer , though. I sure enjoy watching all of the different birds while sitting in the archery treestand in the fall .

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finn Anthony said:
Good to hear . There has been a rookery in York by Kiwanis Lake .
Yup, that's where they released the juvenile I rescued after it was rehabed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts