The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to go on a black bear hunt, it won't be until 2014 but want to start doing the research right away.

We are open to US or Canda but currently are leaning towards Maine (open to almost anywhere though).

For me, I am looking at an outfitter that provides good service, quality lodging and meals, and friendly people. In addition I would prefer a location that offers greater opportunity at a larger bear. To be honest I am not too interested in paying a few thousand dollars and shooting a 100# bear (understanding of course that those things can't be controlled and that the are certinaly no guarantees).

Of course I don't want to break the bank but we have plenty of time to save.

Any suggestions from you guys as to some of the better places to look into? Any experiences you've had would be appreciated?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Definately take a look at The Oxbow Lodge- meets your outlined criteria and those guys work hard reguardless. Never heard a bad thing about them and am booking again myself for this year!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Check out Crooked Tree Lodge. Was just there in sept for a hound hunt. He has been 100% on his hound hunts the past 13 years. I will be going back.

·
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since we are looking at 2014 we figured anywhere 2-5k maybe a hair more. Originally, as I said, we considered Maine and it is still a fornt runner. I see most Maine hunts range in that 1500-2000 range. I also know though a 300#+ bear is more rare up there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How many guys going?
No baiting in B.C. All spot and stalk. If you want, this guy does bow hunts that'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

·
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably 2-4 likely though only 2 of us going.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Are you guys looking for spring or fall? I've hunted bears in Newfoundland several times, have shot 5 there so far. Sounds like they can provide what you're looking for. Many camps have nice lodges and good food. People don't get much friendlier than the Newfies. If you can keep your finger off the trigger and be patient, you have a good chance at a bigger bear. A few of the outfitters permit you to shoot two bears. Last week of May, first week of June is a great time to go there. Vancouver Island is a great place to go but from what I have seen, you will pay for it.. Nfld is pretty reasonable. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
74 Posts
big28hunter said:
Not to get off the topic but Bob M "that's a heck of a bear"! Where did you get that monster bruin?
Not my bear, but hunted with the guide that guided that one. Here's mine. :

It was an add on to a moose hunt in central B.C.. The guide I hunted with has started his own guiding business. 2X1 he's about $3500 and the second bear is optional. All spot and stalk with 100% success. Personally, I'm not one to sit over a pile of stale donuts, but thats just me.

·
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is another question:

When we are talking to outfitters what are some of the questions we should ask?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Backwoods said:
Here is another question:

When we are talking to outfitters what are some of the questions we should ask?
Here's some good reading:
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=77084#Post77084
I'm surprised no one commented on your question...
(random musings)
I would suggest you first pick a style of hunt you're looking for. If you're looking at a weapon specific hunt, remember that for example, hand guns are illegal in Canada. Assess your personal experience, and any limitations you may have. Can you sit in a tree stand for a few hours as still and quiet as possible? Is covering some ground and doing a spot and stalk your thing? Are you in good enough shape for something like that? Are you a trigger puller or dedicated to the "hunt"? You mentioned wanting a big bear.. Well, IMO, you're not going to see, -on average- the biggest bears on the eastern half of the continent. Sure, some of the bigger bears in the country come from residential areas of New Jersey,
but in the woods of Quebec, or Maine for example, the 175 +/- lb. average seems to rule.. Ask around.. You're on the eastern U.S., of the guys you know that have taken bears, where did they go, and what is the average size? I can count on one hand how many guys in my home town have gone to Eastern Canada or maine and have come back with bears over 300 lbs. Usually it takes a couple of trips and a boat load of passing on smaller bears before you even see a larger one.

Here I am rambling....

You already know this but you've got a lot of decisions to make before you can ask an outfitter the first question..

You are going to be spending money you've earned. Decide the appropriate level of service you expect, the past results of a given area and outfitter, and start from there..

Keep us posted.. I love this kind of stuff..

Good luck!

·
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info.....my buddy and I have some talking to do. We need to set some expectations and find and outfitter that fits that.

Funny you mention being in shape for a spot and stalk.....one of the criteria set forth by the wife was that I could only go on this hunt if I lose 30 pounds!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Be in shape for a hound hunt too if you try that route. I hunted bears with hounds in the White Mtns of NH nearby Mt Washington last fall and this upcoming fall again. Those mountains weren't for wimps, and bears like to run uphill.

·
Registered
17,876 Posts
i just got a brochure from this guy yesterday at the Erie sports show, he lost a lot of bookings due to the cancellation of the harrisburgh show and he is located in north carolina.

sounds pretty good, just thought i would throw this out there, a combo hunt for deer, hog, bobcat and bear for 2,500

http://www.buffalocreekguideservice.com/

anybody hunt there for bear? only one big bear in the photo gallery but some big ones on the trail cam pics too.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
OHaraTree said:
Be in shape for a hound hunt too if you try that route. I hunted bears with hounds in the White Mtns of NH nearby Mt Washington last fall and this upcoming fall again. Those mountains weren't for wimps, and bears like to run uphill.
That's how I did my first guided black bear hunt. That was several years ago and I was a lot younger. It still whipped my butt!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts