The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a place to buy a few (6-12) Bittersweet plants. I would like to get them started for the grouse. Anyone know where i can buy some at a reasonable price?
Thanks,

·
Registered
683 Posts
I can pick you some berries and mail em to you they are full of seeds.Then you can start them however you want. I tryed it last year and the plants did well.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Will grouse eat them? I had a vine that was loaded with berries every year. It was in my yard and I never saw a bird eat them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Please be sure you are picking and propagating American bittersweet and not teh noxious, invasive oriental bittersweet. Bittersweet is great winter bird food. We used to raise and release it from the Howard Nursery. Problem is that there is oriental bittersweet all around us here in the Bald Eagle valley. It's dificult to be sure that those collecting seed only get it from American. Things are further complicated in that the two hybridize, so I won't even collect off our orchard as no way to control hwere the bees have been prior to my orchard. Do a google search and become familiar with the two before spreeding seed and or plants around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts