The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although each individual scenario is different from day to day, I was curious how everyone's experiences have led them to understand turkeys more around water.
Meaning, if the birds are roosted within 50 yards or so of a creek, has experience showed they fly across the water out of the roost, or typically stay on the roost side.
Like I said, I know every scenario could be different, but just thought I'd ask a little since it's almost that time of year...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Like you noted in the original post, there are a lot of variables. From a typical roost, they can glide out a fairly long way depending on where they want to go. At first light they are most likely to fly down to open areas in the woods where they can see each other and see that there are no predators waiting for them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hunt near a lake that is about 300 yards wide at one point and the birds roost on the east side and fly down and feed on the west side of the lake every morning. I see them all the time walking the shoreline and flying back and forth. I've had them come out of the roost and land on the shore between me and my duck decoys a couple of times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last year I hunted an area that was near French Creek in Crawfird county and had two nice longbeards roosted on one side, not knowing there were 5 more on the other side of the creek. As the morning serenade got going the 5 on the opposite side flew over to join in ob the show. It was probably one of the best hunts I have been on, my 11
yr old son was sitting in my lap heart beating like crazy. We had seven longbeards within 30 yds. We never got him to fire his little 20 ga. But I don't think either of us will ever forget that morning!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.