The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouting some before or on my way to school the past week or so and I can't believe the amount of turkeys I've been seeing! Strutters everywhere! Looks like I won't haft to run up to the mountains as much this season! Oh and to the youth hunters the attendance lady's don't accept "looking for turkey" as an excuse to be late to school lol.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
CUT EM said:
I've been scouting some before or on my way to school the past week or so and I can't believe the amount of turkeys I've been seeing! Strutters everywhere! Looks like I won't haft to run up to the mountains as much this season! Oh and to the youth hunters the attendance lady's don't accept "looking for turkey" as an excuse to be late to school lol.

A lot of turkeys (the huntable kind) in York County

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yeah I've seen a bunch too. Although one area in particular they suddenly disappeared and I've had two diff people tell me the PGC trapped and removed them from that particular sgl because there were too many? Which sounds strange because for so many years they spent alot of resources to trap birds and bring them here? Anyhow , yeah birds in York county are doing good.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Well i have two unrelated sources claiming 57 birds were removed from york new Salem/ Indian Rock SGL three weeks ago , which is right about the time they disappeared. Im not vouching for the accuracy of that report, like I said, it sounded strange to me. But the timing of when the birds I'd been seeing daily and suddenly disappearing left me scratching my head. I had actually been in the woods scouting and roosting these birds . I knew where they slept, ate, bred, strutted, and dusted. And interestingly I never saw another person scouting even on wkd mornings. And over night they were just gone. It's just plain weird. I've hunted turkeys for 25years and I know all about flocks breaking up and moving around. This one breaks the mold. Driving and glassing a several mile perimeter around the area also did not produce sightings. A walk down a muddy path produced a single set of gobbler tracks in the mud one day last week. I probably wouldnt have hunted that spot very hard but because it was close to my work, it was a convenient place to unwind after work by keeping tabs on some birds. I almost took my son there for the youth hunt but decided against when they pulled the disappearing act and we went elsewhere and he killed nice bird early in the hunt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's were I've been seeing most of the birds around new Salem area.. I go to spring grove

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yeah there were a bunch there up till recently from what I've seen. One morning we saw a flock of thirty one, another big flock we couldnt count, and heard atleast 20 diff gobblers sounding off. They were pretty visible in the fields and pretty much the whole county knew they were there. In fact I still know about a dozen people atleast that plan on hunting there. Not sure what it was like on the youth hunt last wk but we expected it could be crowded so we hit one of our state forest hot spots and had it all to ourselves and an awesome hunt. Good luck if you hunt there. I might give it a morning later in the season if I feel so inclined.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I watched about a dozen birds on Trinity about 2 weeks ago, and about the same amount were seen again in the same field this past Sat.

I wasnt trying to sound nasty about the trapping, just letting you know that no one has been trapping birds (legally) in York County.

There have been quite a few birds sighted on SGL 83, 181 and 327 as well as surrounding farmlands.
I watched a flock of over 60 birds in Hellam Twp where about 1/2 of them were beautiful Toms.
I watched 2 Toms strutting (thinking they were going to get into a little battle) in Hellam close to Springettsbury line on Sat.
I do know of a nice longbeard taken by a jr. hunter in L. Windsor twp last sat too.

Turkey hunting in York is very good, all the hunter has to do is a little scouting and they'll find the birds, as they are definitely here.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I doubt the PGC or even the NWTF would trap any wild turkeys this close to nesting season or even breeding season for that matter. Most turkey trapping is done Jan./Feb not late march. If I was a betting man I would bet that they are still around. Just dispersed from thier winter flock, which is a good thing. It would be easy for hunters to target a flock like that and kill most of it's toms if they stuck so tight together as a winter flock all spring. You just wont see a large "flock" stay together during breeding season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts