The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We decided to have a bird watchers thread anyone can post birds here. This Snowy Owl is from Pa-guy

Since we had this so early in the season you can post any photos from last year

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rare bird in PA

Was with a group of 30 birders yesterday for this rare find. First two photos are of a gray-crowed Rosy Finch that is native to Alaska and supposed to be on the West Coast. Second photo is a snowy owl in Mercer. Last photo is of snow buntings at Pymatuning. Not sure of the picture quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Great photes.The Rosy Finch is a great find,hope to see them when we go to the Canadian Rockies this summer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Here's a few different birds in my feeder this morning. This is the first year I've seen Red Breasted Nut Hatches in my feeder. With the poor coniferous seed crop up north I'm hoping to see some birds that wouldn't normally winter this far south. I saw Fox Sparrows for the first time as well this year, but they seem to have moved on.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are correct, it's lost. Yes it's currently at the Boy scout camp at Yellow Creek State Park at the entry to the shooting range. Indiana Pa, has been there over a week.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's a few different birds in my feeder this morning. This is the first year I've seen Red Breasted Nut Hatches in my feeder. With the poor coniferous seed crop up north I'm hoping to see some birds that wouldn't normally winter this far south. I saw Fox Sparrows for the first time as well this year, but they seem to have moved on.
Stik - I'm guessing the red "trimmer" line is to keep Mr. Cooper from swooping in and busting birds off of the feeder? I'm guessing so...if so...great idea! OR could it be magical red string squirrel deterrent? I'm experiencing a banner fox squirrel year...moved the feeder and that has helped.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Actually I put the trimmer line on to deter House Sparrows, I've got way to many of them around. It works pretty well, I still do get a House Sparrow or two now and then. They'll clean out a feeder in less than a day. I read that tip somewhere in cyber space. My feeder is squirrel proof, I'll post pics of it soon. It's a 4x4 post with 2 baffles. They try, everyday they try, with no luck. It's comical watching them. I never thought about the Coopers Hawks being deterred. When they swoop thru they're like bullets whizzing by. Over the years I've found several birds remains littered through out the yard. Below is a pic I posted previously of a Coopers Hawk. They are a very impressive bird.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a pic of the trimmer line on your feeders? I'm curious as to what they are and look like

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do you have a pic of the trimmer line on your feeders? I'm curious as to what they are and look like
Sure. I used regular weed wacker line. If you try using it be mindful when you cut it, it's going to want to spool up (shorten). After a while it will relax. When I attach them I heat up one end with a lighter and press on a flat surface to create a mushroom end. It helps keep them in place after I staple them. It doesn't bother most birds. The house sparrows have an issue with it though. I've had gold finches hanging off of them. The local Coopers Hawk was hanging around today. Looked out the kitchen window and it was sitting on the fence next to the feeder. Found a couple of it's tail feathers close to the feeder but no evidence it snagged anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Was able to get a pic of a Titmouse this morning before my battery went dead. Had a boat load of birds this morning at my feeder. Blue jays, Cardinals, White Throated Sparrows, Gold and House Finches, Chickadees, Titmouse, White and Red Breasted Nut Hatches, Downy Woodpeckers and Juncos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Scott's Oriole, Hereford, AZ

1 - 20 of 55 Posts