The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some bino bivy recommendations. I am planning on spending a significant amount of money on a pair of binoculars and want to make sure they are protected well. I currently run an Alaska Guide Creations for my Monarchs and I have been pretty happy with it.. I am just posting this to see if anyone else has any other ideas. Around home I think the SLC 15x56 will be used on a tripod system but out west they will most likely used in the bivy. I figured even around home though, I can transport them in a bivy to and from the field. The only other brand I've been interested in so far is the blacks creep due to the pistol holster on front but I am open to any and all options.

Thanks!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have to ask, what is a bivy? I know what a privy is.>:)

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
181 Posts
Check out Marsupial Gear. I use them for my Leica Geovids. Well made, quiet, and keeps your glasses secure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I landed on the AGC bivy last year and like it. I also have a an S4 harness that came with my Leupold Bino's, but it's a minimalist harness. I do like it on some occasions also. The only issue I have with the ACG is I wish it opened forward. As it is, it opens towards you, so it can't stay open which means extra movement on access. It's a little critique and may be specific to the way I use it, but overall it checked all the boxes I was looking for.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD's that I really like. These are my second pair, my first pair I dropped and broke, I shipped back to Vortex and they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked.
I honestly was going to get the vortex kaibabs due to the vortex warranty but I was able to look through them at Cabelas and I could not make them get clear.. I had trouble maintaining the whole picture.. all in all it took a lot to be able to view the mounts on the walls. I couldn't imagine how frustrating that would have been in the field. I let my friend check them out, who is a huge vortex fan and he was also disappointed. I then decided to pick up the pair of swaro SLC 15x56 and that was my biggest mistake.. those things blew my mind, hence me deciding to make the jump to those. I am disappointed they do not have even close to the warranty of vortex but there is absolutely no comparison. So with that decision in mind, I need to find a good way to protect them on my hunts.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I honestly was going to get the vortex kaibabs due to the vortex warranty but I was able to look through them at Cabelas and I could not make them get clear.. I had trouble maintaining the whole picture.. all in all it took a lot to be able to view the mounts on the walls. I couldn't imagine how frustrating that would have been in the field. I let my friend check them out, who is a huge vortex fan and he was also disappointed. I then decided to pick up the pair of swaro SLC 15x56 and that was my biggest mistake.. those things blew my mind, hence me deciding to make the jump to those. I am disappointed they do not have even close to the warranty of vortex but there is absolutely no comparison. So with that decision in mind, I need to find a good way to protect them on my hunts.

That sounds odd to me - my Vortex do have adjustment settings that I had to make to fit my eyes, once I did that I have no problems viewing near or far.

·
Super Moderator
3,753 Posts
I have to ask, what is a bivy? I know what a privy is.>:)

WW, a bivy is just another fancy name for a case/pouch that hold your binos

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Thank you. :smile_big:

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
I didn’t know what it was either. New age hunting gear.😀
For years they called it a binocular harness but the millennials showed up. :grin2:

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
Buy an Alaskan guide bivy.I don't go in the woods without mine.
They are pricy but I like the one with the small pouch. It would be great for keeping my rangefinder handy and protected.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds odd to me - my Vortex do have adjustment settings that I had to make to fit my eyes, once I did that I have no problems viewing near or far.
I had to fuss with them a lot to get them to what I thought was an acceptable picture. Its more than likely just my eyes/set up. I know looking through smaller pairs of the vortex I could get a perfect picture. The kaibabs just didnt do it for me and I although significantly cheaper than the SLC 15x56. I did not want to take the chance of fussing around that much in the field.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts