The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you are kidding.. You are aware that parts of Binghamton are indeed very rural? At present the gas industry is offering 2500 per acre with a 15 percent royalty in the Town of Binghamton. (not to be confused with the City of Binghamton)

Afterall the millenium pipeline is running right through Binghamton.

·
Registered
24,757 Posts
http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/%5Clibrary%5Cpages%5Cdept-planning%5COfficial_Zoning_MAP.pdf

Generally speaking the very fact we are discussing a City precludes rural areas.

Your first link is for the City, not the town.

BINGHAMTON -- Members of city council are considering a two-year ban on hydraulic fracturing in the City of Binghamton.

A public hearing on the proposal, scheduled Wednesday during a city council meeting, has been set for 6:30 p.m. Dec. 21 in council chambers

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can assure you, if the ban on fracking in the City of Binghamton does go through, the rural areas of Binghamton will be included. (that would be the big blue spots with no roads on the zoning map you linked to)

·
Registered
24,757 Posts
I believe you will find that the city and town are two distinct political subdivisions, each with their own governing bodies. As such any decisions by the one governing body would not necessarily effect the other.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really? wow I had no clue :p

you will notice the bit in parenthesis about (not to be confused with the city of Binghamton). I simply quoted the current lease offerings for the Town of Binghamton to show that they are interested in drilling that area. And why wouldn't they be as the pipeline runs through the City of Binghamton. I also noted the rural areas on the zoning map you linked to. (which is a zoning map of the City of Binghamton). Surprisingly, even the more developed areas like Burr Ave contain some 10 plus acre lots inside the city limits. The undeveloped teal blue areas on that map are much larger of course but also within the city limits.

The thing that interests me with the news story is this is potentially the first municipality in the Southern Tier to ban fracking. As it says in the linked news story: A moratorium in Binghamton would be the first in the Southern Tier, an area considered to have the strongest potential for natural gas production in the state due to its underlying geology.

So I'll ask what is it you are trying to say?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts