The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HCO2863 By Gergely. Legalizes the airbow for game hunting in PA.

* February 23, 2016 03:38 PM
* Rep. Marc Gergely
* LEGISLATION TO LEGALIZE THE AIRBOW FOR GAME HUNTING IN PENNSYLVANIA
* In the near future, I will introduce legislation aimed to increase
* participation and opportunities for hunters in the Commonwealth.
* Specifically, my bill will legalize the airbow for game hunting in
* Pennsylvania. The airbow is a device that fires an arrow at remarkable
* speeds and precision from a shoulder-braced, rifle-shaped stock and
* barrel, using compressed air as a propellant. This is a new technology
* that allows for safe and easy firing of an arrow with unmatched speed,
* accuracy, and stopping power. Furthermore, throughout the nation, the
* airbow is gaining significant popularity due to its combination of the
* familiar rifle experience with that of archery. Without a doubt,
* airbows will play a big part in the future of hunting.
* This legislation will legalize the use of these devices throughout the
* state, under the regulation of the PA Game Commission. I recognize that
* it would be unreasonable to legalize the airbow during archery season
* considering that it is significantly more advanced and has greater
* fire-power than current compound bows and crossbows. Thus, this bill
* intends to permit the use of an airbow during firearm seasons, only.
* Given the increasing popularity of airbows and their effectiveness,
* this bill will place Pennsylvania at the forefront in actualizing its
* potential for expanding hunting opportunities and for promoting needed
* growth in the sport.
* My legislation will allow for the regulated use of these fun, safe,
* and efficient devices.

·
Registered
19,379 Posts
HB263 already covers this. It is basically duplicate legislation. HB263 has almost crossed the finish line.

To be clear, either bill only legalizes air rifles for hunting. The PGC would set regulations to determine how and where they could be used.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Whatever. I am to the point now where I just don't care anymore. I will always find my little honey hole where no one else is willing to go to and when I get to old to reach these places it won't matter anyhow because I really won't care by then.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
As long as it is able to reliably deliver a fatal shot to the target I see nothing wrong with adding other tools to a hunters choices. What is the difference if a animal is taken with a projectile that is propelled by pneumatic's or some other type of mechanical energy or chemical energy?

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
They were shooting the airbow at the Kinsey's show this past weekend. In the shooting room with the low ceilings it was VERY LOUD!! Don't see a place for it personally? You can shoot an arrow out of a shotgun also but is it legal?

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
IMO the problem with these weapons ls their name. "AIRBOWS," they by definition are NOT bows they are AIRGUNS that shoot arrows. I would have no problem with them in the regular firearms season. Since they use compressed air to propel the arrow, they will never be allowed in archery season.

Let's not forget this:
" I recognize that it would be unreasonable to legalize the airbow during archery season considering that it is significantly more advanced, and has greater fire-power than current compound bows and crossbows. Thus, this bill intends to permit the use of an airbow during firearm seasons, only."

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
maybe this thread will get locked like the AR thread did.

my stuff is better than yours and i want it all made legal. what you want doesnt matter. (IMO)

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
IMO the reason threads get locked is because you/we can't unlock a closed mind no matter how hard you/we try.

We must know when to quit trying and agree to disagree.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
the concept of firing "arrows" from gun barrels has been around since Medieval days.

I agree to an extent that there is no point in barring hunting tools that are capable of humane kills. And that goes for air rifles, the more powerful rim fires, harpoon guns, spear guns, needle fire guns, breech loading flintlocks, etc.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Stay tuned for powder actuated archery hunting.

Soon we will have heat seeking bullets with target lock, and explosive tips.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
Stay tuned for powder actuated archery hunting.

Soon we will have heat seeking bullets with target lock, and explosive tips.
Yep, here is the future of "archery" at the rate we are going, just remove the old 70's style bow and replace it with something much easier to shoot

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Never saw an airbow fire, but I wonder. " I recognize that it would be unreasonable to legalize the airbow during archery season considering that it is significantly more advanced and has greater fire-power than current compound bows and crossbows."

If that is so, do convicted criminals get to use and possess airbows, under this bill.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Amazing how folks here can use a topic like this one to take a cheap shot at crossbows....a LEGAL weapon in PA. I don't own one but have NO problem with hunters who do. Amazing....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts