The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Awesome. I have contacted him and pledged my support, as a public school employee, NRA life member and operating manager of this site. Any way I can help him get the word out and get signatures, it will be done

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
An email was just sent to Rep. Lucas offering the full support of this retired teacher and Life NRA member. Unfortunately, nothing making such common sense will result from VP Biden's efforts for the legacy of the POTUS!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Put The Crazy People in the "Nut Houses" like years ago ,Now They are taken to A Hospital ,given a pill, and turned loose . We are Too Politically Correct Now' Maybe Then the teachers wont need guns .In some of the inner city schools the teachers will be disarmed by some of the "so called students" just for fun or to use the gun on Him or Her.
You can't just give (any person),just because they are a teacher a Gun , and expect Them to react in a split second in a Life and Death Situation . That My friends requires many many years of training and not just anyone can shoot a rabbit never mind another human being . Remember most teacers spent Their whole live learning how to be bleeding heart Liberals , some exceptions no doubt .My experience in Law Enforcement for 32 years in New York City indicates to Me thats its a Stupid/knee jerk reaction to the gun violence that will cause more harm than good. My opinion is based on interacting with thousands of People in My Career in All situations .

·
Registered
658 Posts
I still believe a better solution is to have our returning veterans have an opportunity to continue to serve their country and earn a living by guarding the schools. They are trained professionals.

Ok, funding is an issue, but come on, we can find billions for other nonsense.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would be good with that one too. we could get the money from the war on drugs that works so great at 19 bill a year

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
While i'm all for helping out a returning veteran, they are of no help in a large building when stationed at the front entrance and the gunman shoots his/her way into the rear of the building. I know in our building, it would take you 45seconds or more to run full speed from one end to the other, add in cautious maneuvers and entering an unknown situation and you may have 3-5 minutes til they become effective. A lot of blood can be spilled in that time frame.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe take a Billion or 2 from the handouts given as aid to other countries...post veteran guards at the main entrance and then maybe a roaming 2 man patrol throughout the hallways...I am not against having the principal or a few teachers w/ LTCF to carry or have a firearm locked in a wall safe...response time would be far faster than a call to the local authorities.

·
Super Moderator
14,275 Posts
It is about time that someone in the State Legislature figured out that firearms trained and qualified Teachers and Administrators should be carrying concealed.

It would do little good to have guns locked up in the school that someone had to go get then head out to another part of the school to deal with a shooter. In that amount of time a lot of people could be harmed. A defensive firearm is something one hopes to never need use but when you do need one you need it instantaneously and nothing else is going to work.

The best solution would be to have any and all interested and willing Teachers and Administrators trained in tactical use of a firearm then to have them carrying concealed within the school. Then they need to make it known, to both the students and the public, that some Teachers and Administrators are armed but don’t tell ANYONE how many or who they are.

This is a great step in the right direction and we all need to do what ever we can to help support and get this legislation passed.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
277 Posts
My comment about locking them in a wall safe goes to the safety of the teacher carrying as well as other teachers and students...what if the students figured out which teacher was carrying and 3 or 4 students take the gun from them...in that case would the teacher be expected to draw their weapon and fire upon the students? Response time would be a bit slower than actually carrying when in a safe, but far faster than in CT.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The only reason Adam Lanza targeted a school is because there is for shock value, and there's no one to shoot back. Soft targets are PRIME for freaks like those who shoot up schools. If there are no longer "gun free zones", it will make them think twice. There should be NO soft targets anywhere in the US. Keep in mind, terrorists look for soft targets, as well and young USA jerks that want to kill civilians for no reason.

Everyone should be armed. I am. An armed society is a polite society. That's my favorite quote.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Thank goodness....some common sense in govt? Really? Funding sholud be at the local level not federal... 30K ja year would likely cover the cost...just pennies per day per LOCAL taxpayer...no need to involve.the feds...please

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Sorry...Bates has a head cold...I was talking about armed guards in school, not armed teachers...although I'm not opposed to tht idea either

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now that i got sleep figured i would reply
P DAD
In response to your post. Not every teacher would be armed it would be right to arm and you would have to have training. I really like the stereotype that you have of all teachers that is cute, but there are teachers who own guns shoot guns and hunt.
As for your training about the split second decision taking years of training my friends who are retired PSP; who loved your post; wanted to know how many years you were a LEO before you were issued a firearm. Here in Pa the state police academy is between 20-24 weeks to completely train an officer then there are put to duty with a gun. Also I infer with you statement that me carrying a gun out of school I would not be able to use it to defend myself also a very nice stereotype. As for a knee jerk reaction I do not think my ability to defend myself and my family is a knee jerk reaction. And I know its hard for people to understand by my students all 100 and some are my kids and I would die in a second for them. I know that they know that. That is how most teachers feel! While one of my friends “retired PSP and now armed school police officer, said today to me. Well if he wants to play stereotypes why not open a dunken donuts in the building so all the cops will be there.
To all
In reading the article I get the feeling that you would not carry during the day just lock it in a safe in your room. As a general rule you do not need protection from your students it would be from someone coming in. After CT shooting some of my students made the comment to me “wish you had a gun here” when I asked them why they said “ cuz if you had a gun and someone was shooting their way in we could get behind you and you could shoot our way out”
I know I can only speak for myself but I would do any training required to give me the right. As a side note we estimate that there would be 2 teachers interested out of 100 in my building.

·
Registered
277 Posts
NRAHP, My brother is an elementary school teacher and feels for 'his' kids as you do for yours. He would like to carry but the state he lives in does not allow that on school grounds. He and I believe that in elementary and middle schools teachers should be allowerd to carry. Maybe even in some high schools. But what about the rougher high schools? My brother is a big guy...6'4" and about 225, but if he worked in a high school he doesnt feel he could fend off 3 or 4 high schoolers looking for trouble...and he would not want to have to draw on them if that happened. I agree that most of the danger comes from outside the school, but some does come from within. Either way having a few teachers carrying or with firearms in a safe would make the evil ones think before coming to schools and if they did the response time would be far quicker. There is no way to stop the evil from happening, all we can do is prepare and respond. As it stands now most schools in PA and elsewhere are not prepared.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts