The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all like to give pointers or focus on what works for us when talking hunting tactics. What about the things we don’t like to talk about. We scout , practice , prep gear and do a multitude of other things so we can be successful in the fall. With that being said we all have some weakness but we don’t ever seem to get outside our comfort zone and rectify them. It’s hard to be honest with yourself and admit there are certain areas where you may fall short . Especially if you are a successful hunter with a lot of big bucks under your belt. Even those guys probably have something they could work on to become better. Personally I have a lot of weaknesses and probably more that I don’t even recognize or am aware of.
For one I don’t seek out properties that hold big bucks. It’s almost like I try to avoid them. Often I find myself high up on the mountain scouting and hunting in areas with very little sign and really no clue if there is even a big buck in the area because I am not finding big rubs and I don’t run trail cams. Plenty of good hunting closer to home that is public and I am sure if I worked hard enough I could get permission to hunt properties with big bucks on it. For whatever reason though I just have this desire to kill one in a remote area that’s not known for bigs bucks. If I continue with this mentality it’s quite possible I may never shoot a Pope and Young class deer ever again. They are hard enough to kill as is on good properties with hunters actually having intel on them. It’s just how I am wired I guess. Same goes for turkey. I could be having a horrible season and get offered to come hunt a private farm where a whole flock of them are living and gobbling their heads off everyday and I would turn it down to hunt the mountain where I know there’s a good chance I may not even hear a gobble.
Another weakness of mine is there are times I get out of my stand too early . If I am having a slow evening hunt I will start thinking about the long walk out in the dark and the long ride home. Doesn’t always happen but I have been known to get down with 15 to 20 minutes of shooting light left.
I also mostly do a run and gun style of hunting. When I know my destination beforehand I am fine but if I am just heading to a general area and plan on scouting my way in I will find at times I just start roaming. It’s almost as if I am under a spell where I am convinced I am going to find the perfect setup and pass by several good ones. Eventually I get so tired and disgusted I just climb a tree knowing full well I passed up other locations that were way better. There have been a few times where I was so disgusted and wore out that I just threw in the towel and didn’t hunt at all.
I also probably move around a little too much on the stand and need to swallow my pride and drop the poundage on my bow. Pulling it back at home is a non issue . I do it with ease but can struggle when hunting if it’s cold and I have been sitting a while.
Anyhow I can give a new hunter or someone without a lot of archery experience a lot of great advice but I still have a lot of deficiencies that I need to deal with. As each season goes by I find more and more things I am doing wrong or could improve on. I am sure if I rectified just a few of them by now I quite possibly could have two or three more mounts on my wall.
So anyone else willing to fess up ? What are some of your faults that you carry with you in the woods every season ?

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patient! You would think after hunting 55 years I would be out of that stage
My dad’s lack of patience has become progressively worse over the years. Not sure what happened to him but the man just can’t stay in the stand during archery season. Think he just enjoys driving around looking for wildlife and waiting for my brother or I to get out of the woods.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
1. Putting all of my eggs in just a few baskets. I have a couple good properties that I have access too and became complacent assuming I would always have access to them. I lost one of them just a few weeks ago and another is up for sale. I might be on the outside looking in. I need to re-focus on finding new ground.

2. I often get out of the stand before legal shooting time ends. A few reasons for that. I do not enjoy tracking deer after dark, and I often feel like I am rushing, which isn't good when tracking archery hit deer. I don't have the luxury of being able to be out there at first light the next day due to the nature of my job. We don't call off. I know I miss good opportunities when I get out a bit early, but not being able to be back at first light, weighs on me.

·
Registered
766 Posts
1. I like to head out of the woods where I can see on way to the truck. Growing up archery hunting way to many memories spooking deer in the dark leaving the woods. Plus I like to be on the road get past the section where deer cross around a bend just a half mile from the farm. It's a 15 minute drive to home from the farm. I stayed till dark 1 evening, I paid the price. I got caught up few years ago driving slow around that bend 30 mph. No time to react it just happen that quick. Truck in shop for 3 days, using the wife car back and fourth to work, oh no I want to go hunting to put a deer in her suv. I had to come up with $500 before I get my truck out of shop. The ins. co. paid there $1,300 and to come up with $500 want easy. To this day this sticks to my memory. You could say it's my biggest weakness.

·
Registered
842 Posts
1. Not being confident in a stand. With limited time to hunt during the rut I second guess new stands like crazy.
2. Trail cameras. This goes along with #1. I’m always thinking about getting down at 11 and going and checking camera somewhere else. I should know better because I’ve never killed a buck during the rut after 3pm and have had my best action during the middle of the day.
3. Getting lazy toward the end of a week or so of hunting hard. If im not seeing much activity I start planning half day hunts where I’m hunting easy access spots in the morning and planning on looking for new areas mid day. I usually check cameras and hunt another easy access spot in the evening not paying attention to the wind.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The grass is always greener syndrome. I know I should have pick another stand.
Or I know there's a flock of turkeys down on the side hill. Or a couple of roosters my Springer
would love to flush. Or a few brookies that would love to jump in the boat.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Haha I know it. I had one messing with me so bad I was screaming at it in the dark. I was waiving my bow around like a banshee. It didn’t phase it. It kept messing me with me. I’ve had a couple hairy situations with bear but never in the dark and I can usually scare them off.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I fear bears stalking me in the darkness...:sorrow:
I worry about that as well. One spot I plan on hunting this fall I have to access by walking down this narrow line for about 1000 yards. Usually see bear crap on the line and hair stuck in telephone poles from bears rubbing on them. If there were ever a chance to cross paths with a bear in the dark this place would be it. I have to park my truck on a dirt road way up on top of the mountain and there is no phone service. Without any moonlight it’s also pitch black up there. Definitely leaves me feeling vulnerable. I actually talk myself out of hunting up there from time to time just because of the lack of civilization and the thoughts of bears and rattlesnakes running through my head.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dad’s lack of patience has become progressively worse over the years. Not sure what happened to him but the man just can’t stay in the stand during archery season. Think he just enjoys driving around looking for wildlife and waiting for my brother or I to get out of the woods.

Man is that me any more, and i'm not old:surprise2:, I'm out of the tree stand and stalking (that never works for me) just to get moving. Then again it could be 14 degrees and I need more blood flow. Evey year I would be up and at them first thing, 5 am in a tree stand. This year, didn't go out till 3 pm. Was up in the stand 15 minutes, and tagged one. Makes you rethink this a bit.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha I know it. I had one messing with me so bad I was screaming at it in the dark. I was waiving my bow around like a banshee. It didn’t phase it. It kept messing me with me. I’ve had a couple hairy situations with bear but never in the dark and I can usually scare them off.
Wish I didn’t just read this . 😬

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I probably hunt to much. I've been telling my wife for years that I'm going to take a day off from archery hunting and take her out to dinner one evening during the season. Been thinking I might just do that this year since we are getting an extra week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 I have many, but a few are putting bowhunting before God, my wife and kids. I try to improve every year and it is a balancing act. I have gotten much better over the years, but I can be even better. I notice when I do have those priorities in order I’m way more successful on big deer. 2 I get obsessed on hunting one specific buck all season. 3 I’m sometimes hesitant to knock on a strangers door to ask for permission to hunt a property I know a Giant is living on. 4 I sometimes wait for the better conditions to hunt a specific buck when I should have hunted him when I had the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts