The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up two boar coon last night in my fox sets.. Both were big but one was the biggest I've caught yet. Stretched 39 inches from nose to the base of, well, where its tail used to be.... That's 4 inches longer than jumbo by fha standards.. I didn't have a scale handy but I know it broke 20 pounds based on the other 19 and 20 pounders I've caught in the past..
I'm not a coon trapper...
What's the biggest some of you guys have gotten?
Just curious..

·
Registered
748 Posts
2 at 22lbs last year and 1 at 22lbs13oz this year with a bobbed tail!

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Biggest one I have ever caught in season was 27.5 pounds......

I boxed trapped one on my property one summer that was every bit of that in July, and was the most miserable raccoon I have ever seen........I released him, as I was after skunks......I have no doubt he would have been a 30+ pounder in the winter time....

My dad and his buddy killed one over their dogs in the late 80's that weighed somewhere around 35 pounds.......

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
22 lbs

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
28 lbs this year. Normally don't weigh them but this guy looked big so put him on a scale. It was tough skinning and had nice fur. Definitely getting it tanned.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Largest ever was 27 lbs. This year was 24 lbs. and streched
47" on a 48 x 8" board. I started weighing them all, most weigh 15 to 19 lbs this year.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
This is the largest I've ever seen!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I caught 2 coons that were about 25 pounds each. Have no idea what they would have boarded up at, but before skinning I had nose to base of tail 26" and girth at widest was 22". I caught one that was 23 or so, and was late in the season, so he had lost a bit of fat as they all do unless they live in garbage cans or barns, which wasn't the case with this coon.

Biggest coon pelts I have ever seen are ones Bob Wendt has been catching in KS. He had 2 HUGE ones in the grease posted at tax-net. Probably weighed 35+ pounds live. I bought 1 off of him the first year he offered these monsters, and def the biggest raccoon skin I've ever seen. After tanning I stretched it out for mounting measurments and got 29-30 nose to base of tail and 25-26 mid girth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts