The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my tires and go with a kit for 26" bighorns. Where is the best place to buy the kits? Thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
The only complain i have on the bighorns is mud and snow. I had them on my 700 Grizzly and it didnt seem to do well at all in any sort of snow or mud. I went to a 27 inch tall maxxis zilla tire that weighs less than the 25 inch bighorns I ran before and I abosolutely love them. They are an aggressive looking tire but ride extremly well on hard pack and snow. Check them out I know they look really mean but they seem to do well for me. I am not a mud rider buy any means but I use my quad for hunting, hauling firewood, and plowing and I dont think you can find a better tire than the zilla

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Drenaline, I mostly ride trails with occasional mud holes but I do use my atv to plow snow from my pavement. The Zillas look a bit too agressive for me but I keep going back and forth between the bighorns and the Mud Lite radials.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
if you think the zillas are too aggressive and you want to get the mudlite radials you kinda contradicted yourself. the xtrs are just as aggressive as the zillas. I have seen and rode with many that have the zillas and for a multi purpose tire they work great. they are a good mud tire and they work well for trails and for hard pack. they are normally cheaper also.

one thing to keep in mind the zillas run one size smaller. so if you want a 25" tire equivelent get a 26" for the zillas. for the bighorns they run big. a 25" bighorn runs allmost the size of 26's the bighorn is a good tire.

my next tire will probably be the zillas. I have seen them go through a lot and they are a good smooth riding tire that does a lot well.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ben, I didn't realize the mud lite XTRs were as aggressive as the zillas. The reason I have been back and forth though is because I am not sure if I should go more aggressive (XTR) or less aggressive (bighorns).

Good advice on the sizing. I knew the Bighorns ran big but didn't know the Zillas ran small.

When I plow it is often on pavement and the spinning really wears my tires out fast. I imagine the more aggressive tires will wear out even faster in this situation.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
yeah i would not recomend the mud zilla. they do not do well in anything. a buddy has a knock off version and he claims it does good in a lot of stuff but I follow him with stockers. they also ride rough. they are heavy also. the zillas are a good all around tire.

on a side note a guy on the rincon riders site said he put 12,000 miles on a set of bighorns before they went bald. I know they have been known to wear like iron.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Try http://www.atvoutfitters.net/products.htm I have bought 2 sets from them and they have always been the lowest prices. They are great at answering questions. I am a huge fan of the Bighorns. They are the best all around tire made in my opinion and they will never wear out. There is a reason that there are about 6 different copies of this tire out there.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rooter. Their prices are better than any one else's that I have seen.

Do you think the aluminum or alloy rims make a difference?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I have the Kenda Executioner. I think they are a really good all around tire. I like how they are a radio style tire. I no longer get the feeling that my quad is going to roll over when making sharp turns. They are a heavy tire and I would too recommend a large size tire for the rear as they too run small.
If I was to do it again I might mix match my tires. Put the kendas in the front and mud lites in the rear.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If I can make a suggestion. Call and ask if they have any clearance rims. I got a set of maxxis 4X4 rims that were discontinued that they were selling CHEAP. Most good tires are going to be a little heavier so I wanted to try to get some of the weight back with a lighter aftermarket wheel otherwise i would have kept the steel wheels. IMO if a tire is lighter the compound is softer and will wear out or the ply rating is low and will puncture easier.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The advantage to most aftermarket rims is the offset. It usually widens your stance around 2 inches making the machine more stable. They are definately durable but they weigh more than stock steel or aluminum rims so they add some weight to your rotating mass. Not a bad upgrade but you can also get wheel spacers to add to your stock rims to increase your the width of your machine

·
Registered
590 Posts
Do what you want, but steel wheels seems kind of a waste of money. I would go with aftermarket tires if money is a factor and aluminum wheels if you have the spare change

1 - 17 of 17 Posts