The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anybody might like to see pics of some of the stuff I get into, but heres a 35" Chestnut Oak from today.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Very Nice, I dabbled a bit in logging in college, and worked with a friend in the Adirondacks, who is also the Collegiate Game Of Logging Champion, was a master of the chainsaw.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Very nice! I dabble in woodturning. That would make somegreat stuff!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
that's a big'un for sure joe! is that the butt end? that's something to have a tree that species that big and no rot!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look in the foreground right side, you can see rot at the cutoff. Big Rock Oaks like this and big Cherry often rot from the top down. If you look at the butt end you see the dark area, thats where it has been leaching down for many years. Trees like that will most often have a "seam" visible from the outside, a telltale sign she's rotting down. This tree was at least 150 years old. There is probably two cords of firewood in the top.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have noticed Lot of the very large cherry on my land has what looks a outside line that runs down on side of the tree but only noticeable on the extremely large ones

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I can see in the top right of the pic what looks like the butt end of what I assume to be the next log up outta the same tree and you can see the "hollow" in its base? I guess I should've looked a lil closer...lol

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should harvest those Cherry soon or they will be worthless.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
From my experience, any red oak, or cherry over 18" has rot in it somewhere.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You won't find one ! I do a " West Coast" notch on a tree that big. In this case we have a valueable buttlog and thats it. An "East Coast" notch would waste 8" of the buttlog. In a tree that size I make three cuts, a left, a right, and a back. when I'm on my game, they come together perfectly. Thats what the black line on the clutch cover of a pro saw is for. It keeps you in perfect alignmnent if you do your part. In this case, the tree had a 90 degree first limb that was 20" thick and probably weighed 1000 lbs. , so the tree was only going one way no matter what. Its easy to pull or ruin the buttlog on a huge tree if you don't know what to do. Theres alot more to a lumberjack than an extra large shirt and a small hat, LOL!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
First look at the bark thought it was sassafras. Great log and great cut.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
You won't find one ! I do a " West Coast" notch on a tree that big. In this case we have a valueable buttlog and thats it. An "East Coast" notch would waste 8" of the buttlog. In a tree that size I make three cuts, a left, a right, and a back. when I'm on my game, they come together perfectly. Thats what the black line on the clutch cover of a pro saw is for. It keeps you in perfect alignmnent if you do your part. In this case, the tree had a 90 degree first limb that was 20" thick and probably weighed 1000 lbs. , so the tree was only going one way no matter what. Its easy to pull or ruin the buttlog on a huge tree if you don't know what to do. Theres alot more to a lumberjack than an extra large shirt and a small hat, LOL!

Would that be the same as a Humboldt cut?

·
Registered
24,786 Posts
I doubt that... a humboldt is basically an upside down standard notch...you would still get a hinge with a humboldt notch as I understand it but maybe Joe could fill in

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Its just notching from the underside, lets your wedge fall out useful especially in large diameter trees, gives you a square log end and a stump that square log end is less likely to kick back off of if tree strikes something.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep Humbolt is the proper term. It leaves the 45 degree notch on the stump and the buttlog flush, if all goes according to plan.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Theres alot more to a lumberjack than an extra large shirt and a small hat, LOL!
That is a quote of the year there...LOL..I am just a TSI/habitat cutter and would never mess with a tree that size, heck my heart gets to pounding hard when i drop something approaching 10" ...LOL

Cool thread Joe!!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Joe ,you must be very good at your profession . It must be quite an adrenelin rush to fell such a beast . Be safe !! Thanks for sharing ....Finn

1 - 20 of 38 Posts