The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided with how low streams are that I would do a little brook trout fishing on a consistant flowing creek today with a splash of browns mixed in. The forecast was a tough one with dead sun and heat so I got out as early as possible to combat that. At 5:20am I was dipping my toes into the 61 degree water

The fishing was a bit slow at first, which is normal that early, but it picked up pretty good throughout the AM. It was never really lights out but I can’t expect that with all the things stacked against me on this day. There were enough brooks out to keep me happy though including lots of impressive individuals.

There were a bunch of Catalpa Trees in bloom which is always pleasant sight.

But things were not all pleasant today. The Gypsy Moths are going at it hard again in the region and the oaks are taking a beating.
The Wholly Adelgid has finally shown up in the area and is full bore on this poor hemlock

And of course the Emerald Ash borer is devastating the local Ash trees.

This was the first time I’ve ever seen all of those horrible woodland pests all in one spot at one time. One of the more depressing outdoor observations of my entire life as all 3 will make their presence felt for the rest of time.
Despite the pests the fishing remained decent and even some browns popped up

They liked the better holding areas that steam had

Eventually the sun and heat won the day though and it was time to walk back to the truck. All in all a pretty good trip all things considered. I was able to learn some really useful things that will benefit me down the line here. I’m hoping for a bit of rain this week. I only really have one or two more outings left this summer without meaningful rain. We’ll see how the week goes.

·
Premium Member
24,121 Posts
Nice fish!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
That is a healthy looking flow of water there and some nice fish. I am going to a presentation next week on preventing woolly adelgid on a large scale. There is supposedly a plan that is bring put in place to stave off the woolly adelgid over a very large area in this part of the state.

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya they've done some stuff locally. If you Google Henryville Flyfishers + wholly Adelgid you can read about what they did to keep them under control along there private section of Paradise Creek in Eastern PA.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looks like you made the most of your outing and general lackluster conditions here in the east.

Pretty impressive photos from a phone. I have an iPhone 6 and the pictures don't come out nearly as good as those even in good lighting.

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. The android turbo has a 22 MP camera and when you compound that with todays very good camera apps you can really get a great looking photo from the phone. It still has it limitations over a quality camera when it comes to zooming, closeups, and high sutter speed photos like Franks bubble photos but it also takes up about zero space as compared to carrying a DLSR or whatever. It's all about tradeoffs I guess.

Now if I would just stop dropping the stupid thing into the creek on an annual basis that would be just great! Thank god for phone insurance.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
Now if I would just stop dropping the stupid thing into the creek on an annual basis that would be just great! Thank god for phone insurance.
I have dropped 2 phones and a camera into creeks. All 3 times I shut them right off and threw them in white rice overnight and all 3 worked just fine after that. However, 2 out of the 3 times I was hoping they wouldn't fire up so I would have an excuse to get a new one. But like you said, thank god for insurance.

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya when my last one went in on June 10th I was at the end of a really great outing. I'd already caught 3 trout 18+" and dropped the phone taking a stupid picture of a small fish. Didn't shut the phone off like you mention which I should have. Screen when black and that was that. 20 minutes later I caught a 21" wild brown!! You wanna talk about a kick in the stones. It was depressing to not have photo's of the day.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Low flow chasing already.
Good sized Brooks though! I dusted my Samsung S6 earlier this year, that one sucked! I really liked that phone but for compatibility with the rest of the family I went back to the iPhone but man do I miss the camera from the S6. This time though, I bought a lifeproof case for the phone so I can now be as clumsy as I want.
I guess I haven't done too bad though, only the 2nd phone I've ever dusted in 25 years. Much better ratio than rods, reels and waders. lol

·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lifeproof is what I'm getting. I think I'll wrap that up tonight actually. Everytime I pull the phone out I cringe now. $150 per dunk!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts