The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted these bad boys on the way to Yellowstone, I think they were just outside the border

Otherside of the road, they were all really nice bulls.

Yellowstone Elk

Looks like something had a hold of this calf

One of the ranches my friend manages, Crazy Mountains in the back ground.

Crazy Mountains, Mouth of Big Timber Canyon

They dont mess around in Montana

Our gracious hosts ranch.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Thanks for posting. Skied Big Sky a few times. Are those bison pics along the Madison going in from West Yellowstone? Probably a long shot, but I seem to recognize that spot.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jarentz, seems like a nice place, had lunch at the Grand Hotel , awesome food. What made you leave?

Kuda you nailed it, exactly where that was at.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Just call me butter. Not to hijack your thread though. Those are some great pics. Looks like you had a fabulous time. I am jealous!!!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries Kudu. We had a blast, should have stayed out another couple of days, so much more we wanted to do and see.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ghost, At the time we were there,it was a little to remote for her.I've been in the grand bar plenty of times.I worked on ranches and helped with interstate 90 bridges. My father is layed to rest in big timber .HE can see the crazy's everyday.I hunted Big sky for sheep about 4times, never got one, but packing in there for a week sure was fun.[Thanks for the photo's]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm in PA now, and am heading back to MT several weeks from now. I enjoyed your pictures and report, Ghost.

Got an email from a guy in West Yellowstone last week and he said there were so many elk migrating down from the Gallatins that it looked like you were on the Serengeti.

I spend half the year on the Yellowstone River, sandwiched in between all of the places you pictured and discussed - Big Sky, West Yellowstone, Big Timber and the Crazy Mountains, etc.

It sure is beautiful there in the winter, as your pictures show. (Kinda wish I was there right now, riding in my Polaris Ranger side x side that I have out there, or fishing the Boulder River near Big Timber.

John

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If things go right, in the next 2 years Im packing my bags and moving, Im not getting any younger and there is so much to see and do out there. Not that I dont love PA, but everytime I come back from out west, the first thing I want to do is go back!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's nice too see that some other people have the same interest. You guy's talking of the crazy's boulder,and yellowstone sure can get me going.I lived in Grey cliff, worked across the river up the sweetgrass and on bridger creek. When i first went there, I worked on a ranch for two news people{huntly and brinkly}.I think thats how you spell them. that was in 1973. Also that was before the new interstste was there,it was a two lane with no speed limit during the day ,and 70 at night.Anyway keep on bringing back good memories. How about the mts. to the south, with the laying indian.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Was out there in Jan about 20 years ago riding snowmobiles thru Yellowstone, saw all the above was probably 25 ft from a bison, saw a wolf, we stayed at the 49er in Jackson Hole, there was 16 of us, we spent nights on the trail at Dude ranches and hunting camps , saw a couple elk herd feedings with horses and hay wagons....loved it out there, too cold for me now tho.........enjoyed your photos......

·
Registered
222 Posts
jarentz said:
It's nice too see that some other people have the same interest. You guy's talking of the crazy's boulder,and yellowstone sure can get me going.I lived in Grey cliff, worked across the river up the sweetgrass and on bridger creek. When i first went there, I worked on a ranch for two news people{huntly and brinkly}.I think thats how you spell them. that was in 1973. Also that was before the new interstste was there,it was a two lane with no speed limit during the day ,and 70 at night.Anyway keep on bringing back good memories. How about the mts. to the south, with the laying indian.
I don't know if this is what you're referring to or not. Here is a picture of The Sleeping Giant, which can be seen looking south across the Absaroka Mts. near Livingston, MT.

Last summer we had a pretty large forest fire near there (30,000 acres more or less burned), and at night you could see the sky around the sleeping giant surrounded by flames.

The day the fire started, in Paradise Valley on the Yellowstone, near the community of Pine Creek, a hiker and his dog were returning down the mountain, coming back to his vehicle that was parked at the trail head. There was no where for the guy to go but to return back up the mountain on the trail he just came down.

He walked all night in the dark, with the fire close behind him. Eventually, he crossed the mountain peak and hiked down the other side, finally arriving on the West Fork of the Boulder River. In mid-morning he reached a deserted forest service cabin, and slept there for several hours. Later, he made his way down to a ranch closer to the main Boulder, where he found someone and called his family to tell them he was safe.

I'm not sure how far a distance it was that the guy walked, maybe 15 miles or so. However, I can't imagine what it must have been like to do this at night, going up the mountain with a massive fire bearing down on you, and after you'd already been hiking much of the day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes that's it. we called that the laying Indian.You can also get a great view by turning south in Reed Point,and going up bridger creek.Also just east of Big Timber you can see the Big and Little Belt mts.There is a lake in the crazy's called [I think]squaw lake.I fished it on my 18 birthday,with grasshoppers.we caught a lot of fish that day.
I've been up the boulder a lot of times, great fishing there also if you know someone for access.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im packing a fishing rod
What did you catch Jarentz?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ghost,We caught trout! I don't remember what species. If i had too guess, I'd say cutthoat. I woke up from the sound of rocks falling, and saw a nanny goat and kid.Beautiful place.
If you get there ,please take photo's so we can all see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
RonM said:
I remember seeing the sleeping Indian, is it visible from the airport, cant remember.......
Maybe if you're still up in the plane.

It's only 30 miles or so, but on the opposite side of the Bozeman Pass.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Looking at the map, I see there's a Swamp lake, in the Crazies not too far north of Big Timber, but I didn't look at my detailed topo map to see it there's an easy way into it. It's pretty small, maybe 1/4 miles across it. I don't see any Swan Lake.

There aren't many good fishing lakes in the Crazies that I know of, but I sure wouldn't mind finding one or two. Martinsdale Resevoir is up at the north side of the Crazies, but it's man made, and sits out in the open where the wind kicks up and'll blow you to South Dakota if you aren't chained down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts