The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Thursday I bumped into a good stash on one tree! The biggest one was over 30 pounds! couldn't believe my eyes. All in all I am over 100 pounds for the year! see below for more.

started out cleaning in our kitchen. Just a little too much mushroom for that..

Then I got wise and moved outside!

So on Friday I took off work to clean them all. I got the bright idea to check another tree and found this one weighing in at over 20 pounds. I know the picture really don't do it much justice...

Got all of those cleaned and in the freezer! Found these two on Sunday!! these things are everywhere this year!

·
Registered
36,330 Posts
Fantastic find!! Lots of good eating there. I got about 10 pounds the other day. Kind of a pain to clean but well worth it!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found these ones on my way home from work last night. I was gonna leave the little ones alone but they were cracking from being dry already. At least they wont go to waste! There was a couple more there that were in great shape so hopefully they will get a little bigger.. Got a nice heaping colander full.
now I need to focus on getting my stand out for archery! Gonna need some meat for these shrooms..

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I found a few nice ones this year as well. I found a really cool one that was well past its prime but I'll keep it in mind next year. It was on top of a huge oak trunk about 6 feet off of the ground where the tree had snapped off many years ago. It was probably about 30 pounds before it dried all out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice!!! I haven't found any that big but boy have the wife and I been finding them. I have picked 17 just off of 2 trees. Picked around 30 or so for the season. The final 5 came yesterday. I found 1 just starting. About the size of a baseball. Let that one go for a week

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Looks like you hit the mushroom lottery. I hear of people finding the puffballs the size of volley balls this year. Must be a great year for all of them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
puffballs are all over the place out my way! My buddy picked a couple big ones and gave them away. I stay away from those cause I don't know a whole lot about them. I pick sheeps and morals that's it. Seen hundreds of other mushrooms this year! We have puffballs growing in our yard, maybe 20 so far this year. They make good batting practice for my 9 year old son! We both laugh when they explode. Actually pretty fun..
Makes him happy for sure!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Got about 60 pounds off of the neighbor's Oak Stump this weekend, the biggest being 25 pounds. The next day I looked in this hollow stump and found another 15 pounds. I had found 15 pounds of Sheepshead about a month ago and they turned on last week for some reason. I made some wild mushroom and potatoe cream soup. I was sooo good.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found another on my way home last night. Not really worth loading the picture.. It brought me a colander full though! NEVER enough Sheephead!!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
My uncle just dropped one off yesterday and my buddy sent me a pic of a big one at his house I'm getting tonight. How's this for eating like a king? Sunday's meal at camp was a rib eye steak and sheeps head, fried up in a 100 year old Griswold...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OH MAN. My favorite thing to do with them is to use a nice deer steak or 2 or a BIG round steak. Put it in a glass pan with like a stick of butter! Onions, Garlic, sheephead and some black pepper. Let that cook down for a few hours. Make your mashed taters and put the steak, shrooms and fixins all over the potatoes!! HELLO ACOMA!!!! And with Deer loins fried in a skillet?? O M G..

·
Registered
274 Posts
found these November 21st in Bruceton Mills WV. first day of rifle season. they looked good other than
completely frozen. At home I put them in 5gal buckets with cool water and let them unthaw. When I sliced
them open to clean they were some of the nicest ones I found this year. Looking forward to finding some
late fall oysters now.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts