The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am switching to fixed blade broadheads this year after losing a gorgeous buck due to a mechanical head failure. I really like the concept of the big nasty from nap, unfortunately there isn't much information about them online. I am hoping someone here can help with real world experience with the heads, I would like to hear about anything involving the heads. The big question is how well do they fly compared to field tips and how hard is it to tune the bow for perfect flight? Years ago I bought a Mathews Zmax and the muzzys I used were horribly inaccurate, which is pretty much why I started using mechanical heads. Any information would be great, positive or negative. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
No experience with broadheads other than Thunderheads which I have used for over 35 years with success. Taking both whitetail and black bear. I commonly experience compete pass thorough on broad side shots and short tracking jobs. I find then very easy to group.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
You're not likely to get any fixed blade head to fly like field points unless your bow is properly tuned. I recommend slick tricks, or the QAD Exodus heads once you're properly tuned. What was the failure of the mechanical head last year?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I use QAD Exodus... love it. but, it's like any broadhead out there. you have to hit vitals.

I lost a 2 does 2 seasons ago, both were poor shots on my part. new bow, hadn't spent the time practicing with the new bow and new sights, jacked both shots up. one doe was guy shot, never found her. likely would have been the same outcome with any other broadhead. 2nd doe i hit low leg, only hit bone got no penetration. that deer made it through the season. saw pictures of her later in the season.

Neither was fault of broadhead. just poor shots on my part.

Thing i like with QAD exodus. they're built like a rock. i've killed multiple deer with the same broadhead. they maintain their edge extremely well.

Once tune to my bow, they fly like a bullet.

blood trails.. only deer i haven't been able to track via blood trail were the 2 i jacked up the shots. Most deer I've shot with them died within eye sight, if not closer!

So i've had really great success with QAD exodus. find one that works for you and stick with it.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i would look at either slick tricks or the exodus. both are awesome heads and will fly awesome out of any tuned bow

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Your luck with fixed broadhead flight will <span style="text-decoration: underline">directly</span> depend on your understanding of bow tuning.

I've shot Muzzy BHs for 30+ years as well as both my son's since they've been hunting out of nearly a dozen different rigs, and I'm of the opinion that Muzzy BHs are one of the easiest to tune.

I've very often had field point accuracy just from a paper tune.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Slick Trick's get the job done....shot a buck last year front quartering me. Broke shoulder, bounced off inside of rib cage and came out opposite hind quarter.... Totally blew my mind..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Like was said you get a fixed blade to fly right till your arrows are properly spined and bow is properly tuned...not hard...just takes a little knowledge"beyond the basics"

Shooting a bow not properly tuned...even with mechanical heads is putting a bandaid on a gun shot wound asking for trouble...you might not see it but your arrow even with field points or mechanical heads doesn't fly straight..that eats up precious energy..your arrow impacts aren't straight and then it really eats up energy...it's just asking for trouble...

Stick a knife in something perfectly straight and it goes in smoothly....stick it in at even a slight angle and it doesn't wanna go in near as easily..

For a fixed head I really like slick trick mags. But gotta learn to tune your bow and arrow spine has to be right...and often times even from a shop it's not...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
bohunr said:
one of the tricks in tuning your bow to shoot fixed blade broadheads is to line the blades up with the fletching.

works great with 3 blade heads and 3 vanes on the arrow.
That has little, if anything to do with properly tuning a bow, and getting fixed blade heads to fly correctly. It's simply a myth.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
After a properly tuned bow and good repeated form....Arrow spin adds to good consistent groups.

·
Registered
254 Posts
agree with everyone about fixed only flying well out of a perfectly tuned bow. A good friend of mine put it to me best like this..."An arrow shot with a fixed blade that hits its mark doesn't fly like a field point, it flies like an arrow shot from a well tuned bow"

Also as for the black hornets...I just discovered these myself a few weeks ago and was intrigued enough to buy a pack. Impressive is an understatement, they fly very well (my bow is tuned already and just screwed one on and hit perfect) and they are super sharp out of the package. Add in a no questions asked life time warranty and its a no brainer. I will be using these this fall and most likely for years to come

·
Registered
254 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evmB9BNCAVY

you can watch this review that includes the black hornet and see for yourself what they can do...the most impressive part comes at 14:12 when they shoot the head through bone...once you see how well it holds up against that you should be sold!

A side note...dont take the last part for a grain of salt when he does the accuracy test as you can clearly see for a great example how differently heads will fly when your bow is not tuned well.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
For me shooting a bare shaft in the same spot as my fletched is a well tuned bow and one that will shoot any broadhead.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
For me shooting a bare shaft in the same spot as my fletched is a well tuned bow and one that will shoot any broadhead.
this....my FP's and 3 or 4 different BH's I own including mechanical shoot through the same hole.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Steelforce is a PA company.

I have been using their Premium 100's for a good many years now and have not been let down yet. They fly like darts as fast as I have been able to run them (310-ish).

Also.........send them back in the off season and Steelforce will resharpen them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts