The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I had a night back about 1982-83, I was coon hunting on a Sunday night, which started at midnight, that I shot 5 in the grape vines in about 30 minutes that were all males and weighed over 20 pounds. The dog was going crazy and every where you shined the light, there were eyes. It looked like Christmas lights. The fog moved in real heavy and I couldn't see up in vines and tree top any more. I still wonder how many coon were up in there. Congratulations, nice coon!

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
That bottom coon is an A color, really pretty. Many Pa coon are yellow, ( school buses ). They seem to get more yellow going into January.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
When I started trapping back in the 80s, the first raccoon I caught was probably a little bit over 20 pounds, I didnt trap very long and only caught average size raccoons after that. The year I left for the USARMY I was squirrel hunting and came upon a blonde raccoon asleep in a tree, but it dove into a hole in the tree before I good get the scope on him. It was really blonde, at first glance I thought it was house cat.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Very nice *****, congrats. Back in the late 1980`s dad and I were spotting out the road from the house. Up in the woods there were several sets of eyes up in the trees , Must have been at least a half dozen ***** as far as we could tell. Was neat to see.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Foxrunner did you call them in? I've called some in while calling for fox an yotes but never really attempted to call ***** the few times I tried they would just stare at me from the trees never got any to come charging in like the guys do out in the Midwest during daylight.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Do you gents process and sell the hides?

also - I'm curious - racoons are a known vector for rabies.?

Does that fact stick in your mind as you process the animal (do you take extra precautions?).
Animal could be in early rabies stage.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
That 36 incher could have used an 8 3/4 wide stretcher Hern. Did you weigh it? The biggest boar we got this year was 22 lbs on my digital scale. Smallest we've caught stretched 29 inches.

I'm still struggling to catch one of those late winter coyotes....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Foxrunner did you call them in? I've called some in while calling for fox an yotes but never really attempted to call ***** the few times I tried they would just stare at me from the trees never got any to come charging in like the guys do out in the Midwest during daylight.
I trapped one, and shot the other one off of my bait pile

·
Registered
20,953 Posts
Wish some of you guys would trap the valley behind my house.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
That 36 incher could have used an 8 3/4 wide stretcher Hern. Did you weigh it?
It's on an 8" board. Didn't weigh it. Didn't stretch it, pinned it where it fell.

Hern do you leave that saddle on the coyotes?
Yes.
The 2 pictured (fur side in) I had to take top of saddle off because of fat under saddle.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My dad always said the same thing Hern. He wouldn't let me trap if I didn't. I have never sold an animal in the round.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts