The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know other guys find lots more than I do but I had a great day today. I was late for 2 other puffballs, my fault I didn't check them sooner. The chicken was a delicious side dish tonight!!
Food Sky Plant Sunglasses Tableware

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chunk them up and dehydrate for stews. I still have bags of them left from last year. I have also made mushroom soup with them, boil it and puree with hand blender, better than Campbell's. This is my first chicken of the woods, hope not the last.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I have yet to find any puffballs . Would love to try them some day !

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had/have those puffballs growing in the backyards. I wasn’t sure if they were edible or even poisonous; so I have been pulling them and chucking them before one of my dogs ate one. The last few were the size of softballs.

Are there any other similar puffballs that are toxic. I’m always real cautious with mushrooms.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd take that up with Starkist...

Chicken of the woods can get bugs or worms in them, I won't eat them that way, these were top notch. I still have some places to check this Sunday too, hoping after the rain we might get lucky again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Question for you guys now that brownie mentioned the sheepshead, are they the same as chicken of the woods? I saw them in Stoney Valley and thought they were chicken of the woods but not as bright yellow/gold in color. A friend that lives there called them sheepshead but didn’t know if they were the same.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sheepshead, hen of the woods, maitake are all the same as far as I know. Hen of the woods is different than chicken of the woods. Hens are harder to find than chickens due to the color.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Here’s a good link to get started with some easy to identify mushrooms.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice finds! I'm not a fan of chickens. The first time I had one, all these worms came out as it cooked. It was very unappetizing to watch. I picked a couple puffball from the backyard the other day, nothing that size though. There were a little bigger than a softball. Took a walk in the game lands last week and scored enough black trumpets to fill a pint jar dried. I wasn't expecting those but I'll take it. They are probably my favorite.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I don't even pick chickens anymore. I just don't care for them. But I'll walk many miles for a Hen!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like the first scentence of my post say, other guys find more than I do. I enjoy what I can find when I find time to hunt for them. If I saute a bunch of chicken bits in butter with salt and pepper for a side dish at dinner, my better half makes omlettes out of the left overs that are great. I want to try quesadillas and chili with them this winter when I'm off.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Thank you! I'd like to pick mushrooms as I see them all over my property but am always nervous I'll make a mistake and pick the wrong one.

Here’s a good link to get started with some easy to identify mushrooms.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Found a nice little hens house today with 5 different oaks giving up Griffs in a small area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts