The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post got me thinking. What are some of the biggest/hardest hitting calibers you and your friends have used for whitetail deer?

I know that you dont need a canon to kill a deer. Some guys just like to shoot the big stuff.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have a 444, but like to shoot the 243 or 270.

·
Registered
638 Posts
i've used my 375 h&h a few times on deer.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I shoot a 7mm wsm and my dad shoots a 300 win mag.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
.444 Marlin and 7mm Remington Mag. The 7mm really does some damage with 139 grain spire points loaded kinda hot.

Anymore though, I stick with the 30-30 most of the time and carry the 30-06 on occasion.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
used my 35 whelen for the first time this season...shooting 225gr nosler accubonds...

he wouldnt stop for a shot and was gutshot prior (could see the hit in the scope) so i opted to put him down and take the shot i had which was a trotting HARD quartering away..shot entered the right ham, hit the bone and blew through the left front shoulder and stopped just inside the far shoulder..accubond crushed some serious bone..2 of the biggest bones in a deer...and made it through the biggest muscle masses...it looked like it got hit with a blender..the destruction was just plain impressive..shot was 65-75yds..

amazingly he still managed to go a few feet..one of the bigger bodied deer ive seen..i couldnt believe he managed to go anywhere..

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
300 winchester mag, 300wsm, 7mm remington mag, 7mm wsm, 270,wsm, 325 wsm, 45-70 and 12 ga slug gun

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Don't need a BIG gun cartridge. But I've killed them with 300 win, 300 RUM, 338, 375 and 416. Don't think any died faster than when hit in the same spot with a 260,270, 7x57 or 8x57!!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
.350 Rem Mag and .45/70 are the larger bores I've used. Shot 2 deer with a 300wm one year. Lost too much meat.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
My dad has a friend that used a 300Win Mag and a 300 WBY plus some others I,m not sure of.Heck,that same guy has a .50 cal that he takes to the range.And I don,t mean Black Powder.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
ROMAC said:
Winchester 12 gauge Partition Golds hit em pretty hard too.
Yes they do!

I forget the recoil energy that thing puts out, but it's a lot.

I have two barrels for my gun. The light weight, open sighted rifled barrel is all but intolerable.

I had a 7mm RM for several years, but didn't care for the gun. Sold it, and bought a Savage 300 WSM. Shot one buck with that gun. Massive tissue damage, and it still ran around a 100 or little more yards.

I did run ito a guy with a 30-378 weatherby, and another guy with a 50 bmg out hunting.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I`ve shot Deer with a .300 Mag. down to a .243. I am more impressed with the kill factor of the .243. Kinda neat to see where you hit them, through the scope, due to the low recoil..

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
.270WSM & .270 Wby Mag(on the small end of the "magnum" titles) and 7mmRem Mag, 300 Wby Mag, 350Rem Mag, and .375H&H.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
...and another guy with a 50 bmg out hunting.
Dear Lord...what on earth...in PA??? some people will use it just cus it's legal.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i shot a good size buck a few years back with my 460 weatherby, shot more then a couple with my 416 rem mag, shot many with my 338 win mag, but my favorite is my 257 weatherby, i always love the big bores always have always will, now a days they only see bear hunts, and even they have took a back seat to my 50 alaskan.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I'm a big fan of the big bores too. Do I need them for whitetails? No, but I like to be prepared for any situation.

I have taken deer with a 7mm mag with 130 grn hot loads. Suffice to say that it got the job done on a big way. My current deer gun is my Winchester Model 70 in .300 Remington Ultra Mag. I shoot the 180 grn swift sirroccos. When you hit bone with this gun, the game goes down. The buck I shot this year was facing me at roughly 70 yds. Bullet entered the base of his neck and exited into the hindquarter. Dug the bullet out and it was a perfect mushroom. Perfect hole right through the hard and very minimal meat loss. Left a grapefruit size hole in the neck under the hide and that's it. The hindquarter suffered very minimal damage as well.

It all comes down to bullet selection. The high speed magnums will cause the bullets to explode when they are light. A solid base bullet with some weight will just keep driving.

There is also a belief that these ultra sonic rounds cause something called hyper static shock to the animal's nervous system. The speed of the bullet striking the body will send a massive shock wave through the animal's nervous system and put it down.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts