The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Went out last night after 12, wind was blowing to my back walkin in but I was able to set up cross wind on a big feild. The first set didnt produce anything so I walked literally 100y down the hill to where I could set up cross wind on tge next feild, started a few distress call about 3 mins later saw these eyes at 200y. Had my kill light on her the whole way coming in. At 117 paces I lip sqeaker it to stop and it did, took a shot and missed! I was so excited to see it that I was rushing the shot a bit but she stood her ground as I jammed another round in my single shot and then I was able to make a quick followup witch connected. about 120yards. Sat for another 10min nothing so I collected my fur and went home. Now for the fur freindly part.... well I hit it hogh on the side in the spine area and it left a six inch hole in the back. not a good shot so say the least. I was able to sew it after skinning it to where it looks fine but it seems to have just exploded on its back. funny how it didnt go through a coon from 22yards but really nailed this fox from 120y. I will halfto be more carful in my shot placment. I was very happy to get this fox. two productive nigjt in a row! it was 205am somewhere in butler co.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Does the 204 do a lot of fur damage on the exit side I never hunted fox with a rifle but lately I have had a lot hanging up out of shotgun range so I'm looking for a good rifle nice grey fox congrats

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was infact the FIRST grey fox I have ever seen! I case skinned it perfectly and its salted now waiting to be tanned. awsome!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea 22mags nice I have one, Im mainly targeting coyotes so I want to kill them.It wasnt so bad, I had a 6-8 mph cross wind that carried my shot a few extra inches and hit right in the spine, if it were hit in the chest im sure that wouldnt have happend. Im loading lower vel rounds with a 32 vmax at 3550fps. Im going out agian tonite so hopefully Ill get to try agian. I also ordered a new scope, a 22mag would do similar damge if hit 2in below the spine brodside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts