The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a lot of deer moving in 5C tonight, and there were 5 bucks still holding both sides, but they came by someone that did not have a buck tag. In total we have seen over 30 deer and that is a lot for this location, and they just kept showing up in waves, and it was exciting. I had 4 come in around 4:30, mature doe with yearling in toe, a spike and a button. I almost got busted by the yearling if you can believe it. It seemed like a lot longer but within 5 minutes, I had the mature doe at around 29 yards, but down a very steep hill, with a clear path. I drew and floated that 30-yard pin a little high for shooting downhill, and I picked a spot and let it go. I shot her a little forward and I see the blood on her at a second after impact, she ran off and I relaxed, the other deer scattered. I put the timer on my phone because I never like taking up the chase to early. I always try to wait at least 30 minutes. 5:15 I get on the blood, and it is the type you want to see, spraying and dark red. This trail you did not have to stop and try to find the next blood, it was that good you just walked through. The trail went for about 120 - 130 yards and I see her bedded, I freeze and back out. It was the smart thing to do and I did not want to push her. We left and came back at 815 and found right where she was bedded but she was gone. I circled back and picked it up again and she ran through what could be loosely defined as a long reed, kinda like cat tails but not the same, 6 foot high. We found her about 30 yards away and the trail was staggered through this stuff.
We came up on the deer and we were not the first visitor, the coyotes had gotten to her first. They actually jumped this deer and that is where the weaving and thrashing more than likely came from. They ate through the exit hole and up into the front shoulder. The rest of the deer was fine, but it really sucks that you can't even try and do the right thing and back out without worrying that they will find it first. It is tagged and reported, and it actually went to a very good friend of mine that will put it to use. So yeah, we had a recovery and a kill but not the ending we all like. Darn Yotes!

And no, we cannot gun hunt them there. No firearms allowed on property.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Congrats on the doe. I've had that happen a couple times when just giving them a couple hours. Hopefully you get a crack at a yote while bow hunting. My son has killed 2 on one property while bow hunting deer.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
That sucks when that happens. One time a buddy and I were hunting together. I shot an eight point and he shot a doe on the same afternoon, right before dark. We waited a bit, started trailing mine, and found it. After we got it taken care of and loaded in my track, we went after his. After a short ways, we lost the blood, so we went home and returned in the morning. We found it pretty quickly. All that was left was the skeleton, head and hide. The entire deer had been eaten over night and the area all around the remnants was all tore up. Wish I knew how many were there eating. I couldn’t beleive it.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Congrats on the doe. My first xbow doe was early season and shot from a stand at less than 15 y. Turned out to be a single lung hit. She didn’t run, walked 30 y behind my stand and bedded down and cried a lot. That was painful. Had no shot to finish it. After an hour or so she got up and moved another 50y and laid down again. Stayed in the stand for a few hours until dark then left. Came back at daylight to find her in same spot dead with a bit of chew marks around the entry wound, probably fox or possum. That was the last time I took a tree stand shot at close range. Listening to her cry for hours was depressing.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Down a steep hill you should either hold a bit low or shoot like it is 25. If it was a liver hit you were too far back. Shot a doe once that ran past 2 fellow hunters pumping blood. We only waited maybe 30 min. and a bear had got her, ate part of a hindquarter and covered her with brush.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats. Coyotes are very good at what they do. With a liver shot, a lot of deer don’t expire right away which is always a nervous wait with those little **** in the area.

Why did you decide to float your 30yd pin high at 29yds downhill?
The tree is about 27-28' up on a hill, and the shot was extremely downhill and I have learned that shooting downhill will lead to low shots. I always from that stand elevate the pins. Hope that answers your question. Bend at the waist and aim a little higher. And not to mention, the exit hole will be lower sometimes missing the second lung, which did not happen last night, it was a little forward to get both lungs.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Crazy so many of these examples in recent years.

Based on that and the unlimited season and bag limit Leads me to believe they are considered over abundant . But I don’t know the numbers

thank you to the predator hunters and trappers out there!

Does anyone know how many yotes need to be taken out each year to get to an optimal level AND how our hunters and trappers are doing compared to that?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The tree is about 27-28' up on a hill, and the shot was extremely downhill and I have learned that shooting downhill will lead to low shots. I always from that stand elevate the pins. Hope that answers your question. Bend at the waist and aim a little higher. And not to mention, the exit hole will be lower sometimes missing the second lung, which did not happen last night, it was a little forward to get both lungs.
On a downward shot you are referencing I focus on the placement focusing on where the arrow/bullet exits. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a downward shot you are referencing I focus on the placement focusing on where the arrow/bullet exits. Just my 2 cents.
That is correct. I was playing the angle, and what we all strive for was that exit hole. I missed the other lung on the exit, heir go the coyote getting there before we came back to recover it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts